Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bookcase Build Thread Part 2 Done – Still Probably Too Many Pics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I always pick up a new trick. This time: rasping round pulls (rather than being stuck without a lathe).

Best,
    Chris
    Hey Chris, great to hear from you. I hope you and yours are getting buried by too much snow these days!

I have a lathe, but it's pretty inaccessible so that's why lazy men approach with hand shaping pulls. Actually for these I made a stop cut around all four sides of the bottom edge of the pool, and then used a chisel to shave off the waste. That's a little faster than just trying to shape everything with the rasp.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Burkett View Post

And from someone who's never tried it, the marquetry is mighty impressive. I would struggle with the patience for cutting out all those fine pieces.
    Hey Lawrence, marquetry is a really way easier than it seems. If you're interested in giving it a try, start out with simple image composed of larger, easier to cut pieces. I find my images just by googling and there are definitely simpler options out there that are easier to get started with.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Mike,

Your work never fails to impress!

This is a fine showcase* for multiple skills.
    I especially like the rosewood handles.

JB

*unintended pun
    Thanks Joe, unintended puns are the best kind!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Mike, Very nice. It seems you’re ready to do a period piece and go for the Cartouche award.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim but your flattery doesn't line up with my track record I'm sorry to say. I've only entered one juried show the "Design in Wood" exhibit at the San Diego County fair. I think I've exhibited for five times over the years and never won anything. I don't say that as a complaint, the competition is really stiff. If you're ever around San Diego in July it's definitely worth visiting.

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Great work, Mike. Always rewarding to stand back and see what hours and hours of skillful work can produce. I have this posted in my workshop. A wonderful reminder as I work through a project. It came to mind when I saw the pile of veneer cutouts!

Attachment 469700
    Phil, I love that quote! I'm totally stealing it for my own workshop – thanks! Actually, I think there's a decent shot I might get a job teaching woodworking at our local Palomar College starting in January. It will take me at least that long to complete all the paperwork – yikes! if it works out, your poster might be one of the first things I hang in the shop.

My best to you and yours for a wonderful holiday season! Take care of yourself my friend – sending lots of positive energy your way!

All the best, Mike