Thread: Leigh Dovetail Jig Fingers Catching Router Base

Leigh Dovetail Jig Fingers Catching Router Base

I started using the Festool OF-1400 for my first attempts at dovetails with the Leigh jig. I noticed immediately the the router was binding/catching somewhere, and was preventing a complete cut (from front to back).
    The fingers on the Leigh jig have a lip, and this is what's causing the problem. Having to rock the router to get up over the lip, and then have it fall back down (even if it is 1 or 2 mm), makes for a precarious-feeling cut when i got a high speed cutter within fractions of an inch from metal.

I've got two routers that are doing the same thing. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix to make this cut go smoothly?
    20211211_131004.jpg

Blog Entries
    Have you contacted Leigh about the problem?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like they might have skipped a machining step on those fingers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxiiOR6lAE I'm sure Leigh will make it right.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-11-2021 at 6:57 PM.

Have you ever used the Leigh jig and did it work with a different router? If it worked with one router then it's router related. If everything is new, then it's a matter of diagnosing the entire setup.

Which Leigh Jig is it? I have the D4R Pro and don't recall that raised strip. Is that a raised strip or is it the edge of a recess?

There is no machining on the fingers. I'd run a file across the surface and knock down that lip.