Thread: Experienced shop fox w1845 oscillating edge sander usersI'm finally attaching the spi

Experienced shop fox w1845 oscillating edge sander usersI'm finally attaching the spi

I'm finally attaching the spindle sander attachment. It comes with 3 different size rubber sanding drums. First off, my question is legitimate one and not a joke.
    The spindle is in place. I started to put one of the drums on the spindle, got it half way down the spindle noting how tight it was to push down, told myself to stop and take it off now, in case after it's all the way down I can't get it back off. It still took an effort to get it off as well.
    After the drum goes on there is a large washer and bolt that threads into the top of the spindle to lock the drum on and squeeze the drum sides against the sanding sleeve to hold it in place.
    My question is it would it work to spray a little wd40 or similar onto the spindle to make the drum easier to get on and off when finished with it or switching drums?

Talcum powder is the most often offered recommendation.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Sleeves being tight on the rubber drum is a common spindle sander problem. You can try a different brand of sanding sleeves, try talcum power as suggested by Rick or slightly resize the rubber drum. Be careful is you choose to resize the drum. Take off very small amounts checking for a sleeve fit often. The rubber drums are not all that cheap to replace.

The local white oak around here smell like bourbon. Local red oak has a sour smell. Pin oak can smell like vomit.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    The local white oak around here smell like bourbon. Local red oak has a sour smell. Pin oak can smell like vomit.
    Wondering how the smell of local oak causes a sleeve to fit on a drum differently?

This came up recently. Freezing the spindle seemed to help. I would avoid mixing rubber and solvent.

Place spindle in freezer and use powder as solid lubricant.

Regards,

Mikail

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Wondering how the smell of local oak causes a sleeve to fit on a drum differently?
    My bad! I intended that response for another post on red and white oak. I tried to retract the post a minute later without success. These types of errors are increasingly common with my aging brain.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!