Thread: Tool Help: Cutters for 10/3 cord and either T-Bevel or Angle Finder?

Tool Help: Cutters for 10/3 cord and either T-Bevel or Angle Finder?

I want to add a pair of cable cutters BUT I can't find a pair that says it can cut 10/3 cord. That's about the biggest I used and it would be nice to be able to cut it clean. What pair should I be looking into?

T-Bevel or Angle Finder?

I'm adding trip up the sides and across two book cases. The book cases are square so I've been looking at a Angle Finder or a Sliding T-Bevel to get. I've read to get both but wanted to see if the Sliding T-bevel can do what the angle finder can so maybe I just need to get one.

Thanks!

A pair of 9"linemans will do 10/3, and they are good all around

As for the angle finder, I like the design of the festool kapex angle finder. you place it in a corner and open it up, lock it in place and bring it to the miter saw and use the laser to set blade square with a center of angle line.

Patrick, I to use a pair of Klein lineman pliers to cut any electrical wire that fits in the jaws,10/3 is no sweat. I own a Starrett angle finding gauge that I got at lee Valley, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish from your description. My gauge is used mostly for trim work getting precise angles to cut for base boards mostly.

I want to run trim like the red lines in the photo. The trim will be simple but joints as I’ll nail it to the wall. The problem is the book cases are not square. Not sure how to cut the trim to count for that.

Do you mean 10/3 SO, or 10/3 NM, or UF? Linesman pliers will handle NM, or UF pretty easily. If SO, I cut around it with a utility knife, while flexing the cord. Let the last little bit of the cover pull apart, rather than cutting it all the way through, so as not to knick the insulation of the conductors.

For the trim, I would use an angle divider-an old Stanley I bought new, and transfer from that to a bevel gauge for each piece.

For the small amount of #6 wire I had to cut I used bolt cutters. Pruning loppers work well also. I did actually buy a used pair of cable cutters and the leverage of the bolt cutters made it so much easier. I had to sharpen out a nick in the blades since it was used and abused. The ratchet type is very slow to cut.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Leverage-Comm...03161356&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/LUBAN-Cutter-...84376630&psc=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-13-2021 at 5:06 PM.

I've cut a lot of cable with this style. 2/0 battery cable, SO cable etc. Basically to a point if the cable fits in it easily it will cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/Leverage-Comm...99&sr=8-5&th=1

Those are the exact ones I use. For 4/0 Aluminum, and larger, I have some bypass pruning lopers that work just fine.

For the trim I would use a straightedge across the top of the cases and a bevel gauge to get the end cut angles on the head casing. A pinch bar gauge or folding rule with a sliding end will give the length. The side casings can be marked directly from the head casing or scribed from the straightedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I've cut a lot of cable with this style. 2/0 battery cable, SO cable etc. Basically to a point if the cable fits in it easily it will cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/Leverage-Comm...99&sr=8-5&th=1
    I picked up those Klein’s a few years ago when I was putting in a sub panel. The money hurt when I paid the bill, but within a day I was wishing I’d done it much earlier in my life.
    earl

Blog Entries
    I have the Kliens but would buy knipex a second time around. Smarter design with the insulation trimming aspect along with cable cutter.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.