Thread: More Practice.....

More Practice.....

No pictures..sorry, unhooked the old computer to move it and don't have it up and running yet. The camera only works with the old PC. Anyway, decided to go down and dink around with the lathe. Fixed the lock down on the banjo, the nut was to tight, not enough travel to lock it down. Works fine now.
    So I chucked up a piece of walnut and decided I was going to be in charge today not the wood. I wanted to make a nice dowel. Roughed it out just fine with the big gouge, I like that big gouge then I stepped it up and turned some more with a spindle gouge and go it nice and round and was going to call it good, but I started looking at that skew. Laid it down and was able to immediately get it to start paring off the wood, No master by far but I was able to control it and finished the dowell up with it and it wouldn't need any sanding. I was happy and I called it good. Next weekend I will make and dowell and then I will try my hand at making another dowell and making controlled beads. Got to travel the rest of the week.
    Corey

Corey,

Congrats on the progress.... I knew you could and would do it if we could just get you past the doubting Thomas stages. You will be giving the rest of us lessons soon

Glad the fix worked on the tool rest. I figured that's all it was.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 01-16-2006 at 2:24 PM.

Sheesh Cory mastering the skew already? I rarely ever use the donfounded thing! I wish you good luck, but you know, making pens is just like making a dowl too.

Jeremiah
    My brain hurts!

Thanks guys! Jeremiah, master no, controlled yeah. Cool tool once you figure out how to attack the wood with it. Yeah, I figure I can probably make a pen easy enough or a good starter pen. I just want more general practice before I make my offical first pen or any real project.
    Corey

Pen making gets soo addicting. You move on from pens to bottle stoppers and so on. Be fully prepared, mentally and finanacially .

Jeremiah
    My brain hurts!