Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge, Skill, Effort, and Equipment: 4 Ways of Getting the Same Results?

Youre no doubt right about this, except for the very first statement I wonder about. WasnÂ’t the generation that got along well in solitude an outgrowth of technological conditions that took a lot of the hand skill out of the process?

I got a lot done with machines and never cared to learn from anyone, but with stuff thatÂ’s more in the hands I would like to be around people who have experience.

I donÂ’t have clever hands. Working on cars and motorcycles etc I never got into anything that my hands werenÂ’t clever enough to do once I figured out what needed to be done, and I think these products are designed with that in mind. Woodworking with hand tools has partly held my interest because knowing what I need to do next doesnÂ’t always ensure I can physically do the next thing. Community would be nice for that.
    The solo craftsman that predates the internet generation, wasnÂ’t he predated almost entirely by people who at least learned by some kind of communal means?

Blog Entries
    Great food for thought Luke.

1. Knowledge
    Much of my knowledge is "book learned" or in today's world learned online. There is also loads of knowledge learned from mistakes. Then there is the epiphanic knowledge from realizations or blending of ideas in one's mind. What is amazing about one's "sudden realizations" is later discovering they are knowledge from the long lost past.

2. Skill
    Skill is distinct from knowledge…
    Could skill also be "muscle memory"? Could that be "muscle knowledge"?

A lot of skill is knowing just how much of a tap is needed to adjust a blade on a molding plane. It could be knowing where to saw to a line for snug fitting dovetails.

The skill of taking a fine shaving with a chisel off a tenon to fit its mortise is a learned ability.

3. Effort
    To paraphrase: "90% of getting something done is showing up." Make the effort to show up and being ready to go.

If there is no effort, there is no accomplishment.

4. Equipment / Tooling
    There is a lot that can be done with very little tooling. A little more can be done with drawers and shelves stuffed with tools. Though often it slows everything down due to the time it takes to find anything.

Number five could be the most important to consider…

5. Motivation

Without the drive nothing seems to get done in my shop. All too often my own "motivation" is overcome by a shiny distraction getting me to wander off in some other direction.

Motivation pushes us to increase our knowledge.
    Motivation drives people to improve their skills.
    Motivation is what makes people get going and show up.
    Motivation leads us to effort.
    Effort directed toward our desire for more equipment or tools is what gets us to save, work or whatever we have to do to be able to afford another coveted item in our shops.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I go by Frank's dads rule, do it well first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTyd02-NTdQ

Faster productivity, (for me personally), will only happen when the workshop is practical enough to get things done.
    Not having to spend time re-arranging things and fix stuff, to even start making things.
    Even then, there's other stuff that one could focus on, like making the place more suitable for work like insulation, or whatever logistical or other
    factor might be a barrier in having a somewhat productive setting. (even for a hobbiest)

Warren, you're comment is interesting.
    "On line communities, weekend workshops, and such are helpful, but no substitute for the real thing."

You don't seem to have much faith in what forums and youtube might evolve into IMO.
    Take David W's channel, money where your mouth is kinda show.
    If many on these forums had a youtube channel, why wouldn't it be pretty much as good as the real thing?
    It's not exactly out of reach for anyone, I use what's probably a 50 dollar camera for videos, and I find it gets my point across.

Eventually what could amount to finding exclusively the same thing one wants, as in a very similar workshop setup, or working the same timbers,
    or many other things which I can't think of.
    I've certainly learned a heap from watching videos, and always hungry for more.

I don't think I'm being naive, keen to see what others thoughts are on this.
    I've probably got a hundred channels which I've subscribed to, with about 30% being mainstream "youtubers"
    and the rest of those folks youtube channels are similar to what would suit my workshop/work/goals, and post occasional content.

I would imagine it would be difficult even now as it is, not to find exactly what you want ...
    provided you know where to look, which is where forums come into play, isn't it?

Tom

Hmmm one sun spot away from afoot and the need to find someone that can read a map. So you can get to the hospital in their 1960 Chevy and get treated for anxiety by a doctor that can’t find his way there either.😂
    Jim

I never claimed it was the easiest car in the world to work on, but it is definitely easier than a modern vehicle.

As far as emissions saving the future, that is a topic of heated political debate that needs to be avoided on these forums. And I'll leave it at that.

Blog Entries
    I met a traditional Japanese joiner (sashimono) who impressed upon me the importance of working both to a high standard, and in a timely and efficient manner -- the latter being very important for a professional. People who can work in this way, producing incredible work with only hand tools and traditional methods, but do so in a timely and efficient manner, really, really impress me. I may be able to do the same work, but it would take me a year to do what he could likely do in just a month or even less.
    Forgot to comment on this in my previous post.

Much of a timely and efficient manner is all the time and motion saved from knowing how to transition to the next step and not hesitating.

This also reminded me of an older gentleman on one of my previous jobs. This was while working on transit vehicles (train cars) in a public transit shop. There was a particular problem with the vehicles that was labeled an 'Item 20'. This meant the propulsion system had an error and dropped out. There was a "routine checklist" for this problem that most of the techs would follow. This older gentleman showed me a few checks not on the "routine checklist" to examine. Many of the cars (vehicles) were what we called "repeaters," or back in the shop (a hanger queen) for the same problem as last time. One of the reasons many of the techs didn't check a few of the other items is because of having to remove a half dozen more panels. Behind the panels were a bank for capacitors and other items. If the high voltage capacitors were shorting or about to blow, a sensor would trip and open the run relay. One night while looking for a bad connection another senior tech came down and was upset with me for taking all the extra panels off. Just at that moment a sensor wire was being checked and vibration caused it to make the run relay click loudly. My response was, "How do you expect me to find something like this without taking off all those panels?" He, said, "you just got lucky."

It is amazing how lucky it was to have many repeaters end their legacy as hanger queens just from a small change to the routine. Often it actually saved time by not having to check all the other items on the "routine checklist."

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-21-2021 at 3:04 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think one important aspect for a hobbyist is to have a design sense. What's the point of having great tools and great technique if we don't have a sense of what to do with them. Designing an interesting piece of furniture is not an easy thing to do, copying something is trivial and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I 100% disagree with this statement. No offense.

I just changed a spark plug and coil pack on my sister's 2011 Dodge journey for her, and I had to take apart the intake, remove a radiator hose to get the plastic intake out from behind the motor, and then when trying to get the spark plug socket out, a 6" extension was too long and hit the fire wall and a 3" extension was too short and was too deep in the well. It took about 2 hours. For one spark plug.

On the other hand, my parents have a 75 Oldsmobile Delta 88 and the spark plugs are easily accessible and are simple to change. I would wager I could change all 8 spark plugs are least 3 times in the time it took me to change one on a modern car.

I get the point that modern cars do not require as much tinkering to keep them on the road, but with all the wires, sensors, and emissions crap that gets shoved in an increasingly shrinking engine bay, they are by no means easier to work on.

And don't even get me started on changing spark plugs in my 05 F150........
    That's packaging. Ever work on a mid 70s mid engine car? Same problem, but worse. So much worse.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Guess we've hijacked this post? Anyway...I much preferred the old 64 Falcon Futura (4 door) with the straight 6, with the hand choke. Did NOT like working on it's brakes, though....I can remember waiting on the Radio to warm up....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Good point! My buddy has a 68 Beetle that is a pain to work on too, although everything is light and comes apart easy enough.

I just buy a lot of tools to be able to call on, and figure it out as I go. Someone asked me how I was going to fix some windows in an old house. I said I was just going to use my normal method. He asked what method that was, and I said, "attack".

So many different subjects this brings up,
    Once again I love the community comment of Warren, even though his next sentence seems a conflicting comment.
    Love to see a video of something or another from you someday
    It was David's videos and posts in which I learned what you were saying all along about the cap iron,
    and would likely not have believed until I saw it with my own eyes.
    Wondering what you find the most lacking from forums and videos?

I agree with your thoughts Rafael, that's coming from someone who never designed anything but a few tools.
    Nether agreeing nor disagreeing with you here, but can say I spent a good bit of thought on my benches, one kinda designed from what I had, which
    has turned out to be very versatile, in some ways, I suppose I got lucky.
    There's another near completed scandi bench, minus end caps/tool well/vices under a stack of timber,

I copied the things l liked, whether you call that copying is up to you.
    I agree it not an easy thing to do, as I made my mind up about what bench I wanted.. .once I had level ground and happened to stick a thin counter
    on the base, lol

I think looking at something which might be appealing but flawed for some reason or another is a good place to start designing.
    Practice in that sense if you will?

Apart from copying things in any way, I think everyone has some want or need for something basic that's not out there, and can make something with what makes sense to them.
    I could think of plenty of challenges in that regard, from dog beds to footrests which don't have sharp corners, "cold house blues makes everything slippy"
    and other things which might be apt for my home, even if not for anyone else, once again practice of design, and all the rest on Luke's list.

Tom

I find it enjoyable seeing furniture none the less, and always looking at craftsmanship, even if not to my tastes.
    Here's Shawn Graham from wortheffort at this years Texas woodworking show
    https://youtu.be/yld673TvRpw?t=289

And I might add the Alan Peters award, some snippets from Jeremy Broun's channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yumk4HmeHLw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    I find it enjoyable seeing furniture none the less, and always looking at craftsmanship, even if not to my tastes.
    [edited]
    While watching old movies or TV programs with the wife, we often pause the action to look at old pieces of furntiture, molding or architectural details.

jtk

Nothing beats experience.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."