Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: round bottom spokeshave recommendations please

I'll just keep the one Seymour Smith & Son sold.....a double spokeshave....one is flat bottomed, the other is round....can rough out a shape with the flat, move to the round to finish it up...

And...S.S.& S. did make some very good spokeshaves....maybe Joe Bailey can show a catalog photo of their line up....Hear tell that Stanley also made a version...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-02-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have no experience with the larger HNT Gordon spokeshaves, but I did purchase (and return) their version of the small round shave. I purchased it after selling my MF Cigar Shave, thinking it would be handy for the tight inside curves I sometimes work into my designs.

Well, I was wrong - and I suspected I would be immediately upon opening the box. The blade is tiny and only 1/16” thick (the same thickness as their large spokeshaves). Good luck sharpening it. The mouth is microscopic and adjusting the blade to get the desired cut proved to be the definition of frustration. I tried a number of test cuts on straights, curves and edges and decided rather quickly that this tool was not one that would enhance my work.

Is it a bad spokeshave? I won’t go that far. I’ll just say that it’s a very specialized tool that doesn’t work for me. A fine grain Auriou or Liogier Modeler’s or Rattail rasp is much more appropriate. Will I ever consider another HNT Gordon? No. I’ll stick with LN, Boggs and possibly a wooden shave maker when I decide to upgrade my Stanley shaves, which I did when I purchased my Boggs flat shave.

Howard, if you do opt for an HNT Gordon shave, I suggest you order it from Leslie at Heartwood Tools. She is one of the more righteous people in the business, and as I mentioned, has a no questions asked return policy if you’re not satisfied. I have no affiliation whatsoever with her or her small business, just a satisfied customer who happened to be dissatisfied with the tool he purchased. https://www.heartwoodtools.com/

Lee Valley Veritas

Hmmmm..and..
    Spokeshave selections, single, double.JPG
    The 2 I have from Seymour Smith & Son...a single and a double...
    Spokeshave selections, double.JPG
    the double has both a straight and a curved 'shave

Spokeshave selections, Stanley 51.JPG
    Compare to the slightly larger Stanley No. 51....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I have no experience with the larger HNT Gordon spokeshaves, but I did purchase (and return) their version of the small round shave. I purchased it after selling my MF Cigar Shave, thinking it would be handy for the tight inside curves I sometimes work into my designs.

Well, I was wrong - and I suspected I would be immediately upon opening the box. The blade is tiny and only 1/16” thick (the same thickness as their large spokeshaves). Good luck sharpening it. The mouth is microscopic and adjusting the blade to get the desired cut proved to be the definition of frustration. I tried a number of test cuts on straights, curves and edges and decided rather quickly that this tool was not one that would enhance my work.

Is it a bad spokeshave? I won’t go that far. I’ll just say that it’s a very specialized tool that doesn’t work for me. A fine grain Auriou or Liogier Modeler’s or Rattail rasp is much more appropriate. Will I ever consider another HNT Gordon? No. I’ll stick with LN, Boggs and possibly a wooden shave maker when I decide to upgrade my Stanley shaves, which I did when I purchased my Boggs flat shave.

Howard, if you do opt for an HNT Gordon shave, I suggest you order it from Leslie at Heartwood Tools. She is one of the more righteous people in the business, and as I mentioned, has a no questions asked return policy if you’re not satisfied. I have no affiliation whatsoever with her or her small business, just a satisfied customer who happened to be dissatisfied with the tool he purchased. https://www.heartwoodtools.com/
    My experience is with the early model, which is fashioned after Japanese spokeshaves (but with a higher cutting angle). These are exceptionally stable.

I have not used the latest versions, but have high confidence in Terry Gordon's ability to turn out the highest quality tool. He simply does not make a dud. Every design is researched and tested to the max.

My go to 'shaves are the LN Boggs, of which I own all three. The reason I have not mentioned Veritas is simply because I have not used them. Veritas, like Terry, make excellent tools. My preference is to use spokeshaves without adjusters. This is just a balance/ergonomic thing for me. I am comfortable using a hammer to make adjustments.

Having mentioned using a hammer, it needs to be added that old school low angle wooden spokeshaves are a treasure. There is a little learning curve, but once you get it, one discovers that the one setting can plane both fine-and coarse shavings. The toe should have a 2-3 degree camber - just like a travisher. This allows the mouth to roll using pressure in the fingers/wrist.

The related style to look for is the metal versions ...

The Veritas LA spokeshave has a flat toe. I plan to modify mine and see it it can work this way. However, I have a couple of Stanleys, and these work very well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've had about 20 spokeshaves (mostly vintage) and always seemed to struggle a bit with the curved variety. They've all moved on to new homes. I treated myself to the Boggs shaves from LN and have to say they're an entirely different experience and a real joy to use. For smaller curved work I use the Preston homage that LV sells. It works very well too.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Hmm, gave mine a work out, this afternoon..
    Round bottom shave.JPG
    Seymour Smith & Son...start up..
    Round bottom shave, results.JPG
    Almost done with one end...
    Round bottom shave, handle maker.JPG
    In case I ever need a handle, made from Ash... Oval handle? Or, octagon handle?
    Spokeshave selections, double.JPG
    The straight edge can be used to rough out the blank, too..

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Howard, while there are "vintage" and other options, you cannot go wrong with the LN Boggs. It is out of stock presently, but after trying other options I bit the bullet and got one a couple years ago and do not regret it. They crop up on eBay, but not at anywhere near reasonable prices. Get on the mailing list at LN!
    Joh you and I have talked spokeshaves in the past. I bought the Boggs curved from Anne of all trades at a Lie-Nielsen tool fair a few years ago. Some folks here might remember I whined about not being able to use the shave without chatter.

I decided to get a 151R round bottom. The mouth is a maw compared to the Boggs's. But it helped me get used to using the tool. I now often start with the Stanley to slog through the rough spots, and finish with the Boggs.

I also got a 151 flat and I make no apologies for its gaping mouth.