A friend dropped off some tools collected by his late mother. They've been in his garage for 10+ years, and they look like it.
Since I can't woodwork in my garage (snow and below "0" Celsius) I've been trying to clean these planes.
2 Rapiers, one a 440 the other one I haven't disassembled; a Stanley #4 type 20; a Stanley #5 no research yet and a few braces (no bits).
One I didn't pay much attention to is a real long #8 sized piece - semi complete, with the front knob missing.
There's no markings on the body, nothing on the blade, nor the frog. On the chip breaker there's a patent to ? Bailey, 1867; and on the brass adjustment knob also bit partially eroded away, is an Aug 1867 patent.
I'm busy cleaning it and getting the rust off, but firstly it this of any historical value that would prompt me to go hunting for the correct knob and screw. and the appropriate tote, since there's some wood chipped off the back of the tote. Or are these plentiful enough that making a new one would not destroy any of it's "value".
I have enough to muscle around my Stanley #6 and my Veritas BU jointer, without adding a 150+ year old behemoth.