Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: methods for preparing boards with hand tools

methods for preparing boards with hand tools

I'm about to begin the process of learning how to prep boards with only hand tools. I've watched many videos, read books/articles, etc. I'm drawn to the method in the attached video, but it's a little different than many others I've seen. What method do others follow and do you see problems with how he does it? (I'm think of you, Warren.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEdgF8NDsB0

There are several approaches. I think a good way to go about it is to try first and then settle on something you feel comfortable with. I've drifted towards a combination of wooden planes and metal planes to prepare boards.

Go from this, to this:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1640733179068_6881733735900255702.jpeg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1640827010855_6882127294939426442.jpeg

I've watched that video in the past, it has good pointers. Wooden soled planes are a lot less effort to push than metal ones.

Blog Entries
    As Rafael mentions,"There are several approaches."

A lot depends on what and how big is the piece being worked.

Here is my ordeal with some larger hunks of wood > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588 < in this thread winding sticks are used and another method using small blocks and string is used to check a larger area for flatness.

Here is a post on making winding sticks > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290331 < winding sticks should also be serviceable straight edges that also come in handy in the shop when flattening a piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I learned this process by studying Peter Korn's classic book Working with Wood You can get it used online for four bucks. It changed my life when I was starting out. I thought, wow, so this is how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    I'm about to begin the process of learning how to prep boards with only hand tools. I've watched many videos, read books/articles, etc. I'm drawn to the method in the attached video, but it's a little different than many others I've seen. What method do others follow and do you see problems with how he does it? (I'm think of you, Warren.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEdgF8NDsB0
    The absolute best advice I can give you is to check your work often. Very often. Blindly planing away at a board creates more problems than it solves.

Squares, winding sticks, and a straight edge should all be close by when prepping stock.

Everyone has a personal preference on a method, and I believe it boils down to how to efficiently use the tools you have.
    Last edited by Jason Buresh; 01-06-2022 at 7:27 PM.

I'm with Jason -- if you blindly apply a formula, sure, it may work, but you're likely to end up doing too much work.
    Sure, some boards need the full Monty, but most don't.
    So look at the board, check it out in detail, consider the context for this board (!), see what needs to happen and do no more than that.

Agree with Jason and Ed. This is why I like stops, I can lift and look very easily. Some boards need a lot more work than others. Since S2S is so common, most of the time it's just looking for twist, then getting rid of a small amount of cup. Most times, I don't even have to traverse unless I get stuff from a mill directly.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The Woodwright's Shop......"Hand plane essentials, with C. Schwarz....usually found on pbs.org

Well worth the 1/2 hour of your time to sit back and watch.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I’ve used the method Mike Siemens demonstrates. I think that is a great approach to follow, especially if you are just starting out. Complete each step of the process before moving on to the next. As others have said, be methodical and check your work often.

As you do more stock prep you will get a feel for it and learn what is “good enough”. I’d focus on doing it right at first. Speed and efficiency will come with practice.

Thanks, Ben. That's what I liked about his approach, methodical, built checks on your progress, and you get to use geometry to boot!

I like Mike, but I don't think he has done this 100 times or anything like it. Not very accurate and quite wasteful of material and time. He doesn't seem to know how to use a straight edge. He wants to make a formula to follow, rather than check with the winding sticks and straightedge and just take off the high spots.

Mike uses a similar technique for jointing an edge as David Charlesworth: avoid the ends and plane the board hollow until it stops cutting in the middle. then plane the entire length until you get a continuous shaving and call it flat. After using this procedure, Charlesworth finally checks it with a straightedge, finds it .002 inches hollow and says it is a "remarkable tolerance for a hand tool on timber". Actually it is pitiful. With a plane taking a .001 shaving he could easily improve the tolerance by planing the ends and getting it to conform to the straightedge; it should not take a minute. Siemsen does not even bother to check his work with a straightedge. He assumes that the plane has made it flat.

A plane helps in flattening, but the idea that the tool is what creates the flatness is machine tool thinking, which of course is how these fellows have operated for decades.

Don't complicate it, but do learn and refine as you go. Generally, you want to start with a face first, because you can't joint a square edge until you have a flat face to register square against.

I generally do the following, using winding sticks, a try square, and a straight edge to check my work and mark high spots as I go:

1. Put board flat on the bench. First, identify any twist or cupping. If there's cupping, I put the hump upwards so that the board doesn't wobble side to side while I plane.
    2. Work down the high spots. I plane in any direction I feel necessary. Sometimes that's across the grain. Sometimes that's diagonal from one high edge to the other (when there's twist). Sometimes that's along the grain. Sometimes I just work on certain high spots and concentrate on them when necessary.
    3. Flip the board over, do the same.
    4. Joint a square edge.
    5. Mark the opposite edge from the newly jointed and straight edge, plane down to that line. This is, if I even need the edges to be perfectly parallel. Sometimes you don't.

That's all basically. As you get more advanced, you learn to work to a greater tolerance as needed.

I'm not as experienced as many people here, of course, and I often work to "good enough for the application I need" tolerances. But, I do occasionally work to very tight tolerances when I feel necessary, as Warren describes. A single shaving too much can create a dip that you might not want. It's up to you to decide what tolerances you need or want to work to for a given piece and a given project, ultimately. The tolerances you need for, say, making tools, is different from what you need for making furniture, or chairs, or boats, or outdoor furniture, etc., and even within those categories, it's really up to the craftsman as to how flat is flat, so long as you're not out of square or flat so much as to cause problems. If it causes problems, or just isn't up to your standards and displeases you, well, you know it's not flat enough and you need to correct it!

Ultimately, your tools (winding sticks, straight edges, and try squares) will tell you whether you succeeded or not. How you get there is up to you, and something that you'll learn and refine as you go.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 01-06-2022 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I like Mike, but I don't think he has done this 100 times or anything like it. Not very accurate and quite wasteful of material and time. He doesn't seem to know how to use a straight edge. He wants to make a formula to follow, rather than check with the winding sticks and straightedge and just take off the high spots.

Mike uses a similar technique for jointing an edge as David Charlesworth: avoid the ends and plane the board hollow until it stops cutting in the middle. then plane the entire length until you get a continuous shaving and call it flat. After using this procedure, Charlesworth finally checks it with a straightedge, finds it .002 inches hollow and says it is a "remarkable tolerance for a hand tool on timber". Actually it is pitiful. With a plane taking a .001 shaving he could easily improve the tolerance by planing the ends and getting it to conform to the straightedge; it should not take a minute. Siemsen does not even bother to check his work with a straightedge. He assumes that the plane has made it flat.

A plane helps in flattening, but the idea that the tool is what creates the flatness is machine tool thinking, which of course is how these fellows have operated for decades.
    so you say the technique demonstrated in the original video is wasteful of material. I don’t understand that at all. Essentially he gets the four outside corners in a plane removing the minimum wood possible, then planes everything in between those four points down to the same plane.

Can you describe how you would get a surface flat while removing less wood than that?

Before even grabbing a plane put your board on the bench and study it. If you push on opposing corners. NE to SW, NW to SE, etc. Does it rock? Board is twisted. Get the winding sticks and study the twist. Learn how bad it's twisted, mark the corners etc. Does the board rock edge to edge? It's most likely cupped. Get the straight edge out and study the cupping.

After you learn what your board needs for prep, then grab a plane. Remember, don't plane blindly. Your board will change with each pass, so study often by checking with sticks and straightedges and squares.

This is the best "method". Learning what each board needs and planing to fix specific problems while checking your work often and adjusting accordingly.

Good advice here. You have probably seen this one already. I fine have two plane irons this sharp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_96gNMMc_g

And I bought a DeWalt lunch box. I see a lot of boards in my shop that do need some clean up before I turn them over to the Dewalt, scrub here, winding sticks there, I need a flat surface on one side to lay on the planer ways. I am perfectly happy to let the Dewalt do the thicknessing - once later problems are prevented - and then just take off the machine marks by hand plane.