Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw blade boring service

Any machine shop could do that quickly if you relieve them of any responsibility of changing the body tensioning and maybe get a wobble when they are done. I was going to suggest a boring head for your drill press, but most drill presses are a little loose in the bearings for accuracy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15286066984...xoC3o8QAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Any machine shop could do that quickly if you relieve them of any responsibility of changing the body tensioning and maybe get a wobble when they are done. I was going to suggest a boring head for your drill press, but most drill presses are a little loose in the bearings for accuracy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15286066984...xoC3o8QAvD_BwE
    My drill press is.... lacking in quality. It is so bad I don't really use it for much of anything.

I am in the process of setting up my K3, and eccentrically converting my work flow process from the cabinet saw to the slider. I have a few Forrest blades that have very little use, so I figured I'd get them re-bored to fit the K3 - verse selling them and buying new blades. I just reached out to Forrest, and they will perform this service, but it's not exactly cheap. They charge $45 per blade. Still less costly than buying all new blades though. And after using the new saw a bit with sheet goods and using a 12" blade, I see the need to use the scoring blade. I think these sliders actually need a scoring blade, as the wagon is set up to be a few thou above the cast iron table. (I set my wagon up targeting five thou).

have had stuff done by a tool and die maker friend. Past memory he located, drilled undersize then some precision tool next maybe a reamer. Simple fast and easy. Sawblades or Dadoes opened up for the shaper.

When I got my K3 a few years back I called a semi-local machine shop and originally they told me they could bore my existing blades. When I called them back some time later to setup the actual work they told me they couldn't do the pins. So instead I included my old not-so-expensive 10" blades when I gave away my old saw to a friend that helped move my K3 into my basement. I then bought new blades from Felder.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Most any blade sharpener can bore blades; however, i had several places turn me away recently when i tried to bore a dado set to 30mm with pins. For whatever reason, the pins are what caused folks to reject the work.
    I had a dado set bored out for my K3 and the result was not good despite us being very careful with set up. It left tracks through the bottom of the cut so I gave the set to a sawyer and he set it up and ground down the diameter of the set until it was all the same and then sharpened all the cutters. The set (CMT) was brand new and I acquired it at a knock down price because it had been ordered wrong and when all the machining had been done it gave a perfect finish. It is 8" and is really to big for the K3 as it limits the height due to the table insert brackets so care has to be taken when using it, having said that I have yet to find a job where it was height limited. Keep in mind the pin holes have to be drilled and a dado conversion kit for the arbour is needed as well. Not a straight forward job but done well the results are worth it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I think trying to bore with a drill press is a no-go. Even the heavy 'industrial grade' Swedish models we've got. I don't think they have angular contact bearings in them, just radials and a thrust bearing.

You need a mill, and should sweep the tips as a check after aligning the hole. I'd rough the hole out with a carbide endmill and finish with a boring head. A dado set would require some thought ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    I think trying to bore with a drill press is a no-go. Even the heavy 'industrial grade' Swedish models we've got. I don't think they have angular contact bearings in them, just radials and a thrust bearing.

You need a mill, and should sweep the tips as a check after aligning the hole. I'd rough the hole out with a carbide endmill and finish with a boring head. A dado set would require some thought ...
    He made his decision a year ago.

its kindergarten work for a trained tool and die maker with several simple machines and tooling.

After he retired i went to a busy local CNC shop, had to take the work back twice cause it was done wrong I gave up knowing I need to find another old guy with simple machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    its kindergarten work for a trained tool and die maker with several simple machines and tooling.

After he retired i went to a busy local CNC shop, had to take the work back twice cause it was done wrong I gave up knowing I need to find another old guy with simple machines.
    Mine was done on a Bridgeport by a very good tool maker and the diameters still weren't spot on and it only takes a few thou difference to get a poor result when using it. When I see people complaining of poor results and a rough finish it is obvious that the OD diameters of the cutters are not all the same.
    Chris

German trained tool and die maker, one man shop, make this square with a file when he learned. Worked to .0005 easy and made some of his own tooling. When I asked him to make a sleeve for a router bit bearing he said do you want slip fit interferance fit or press fit. I said you can do that? Maybe the wrong words but three choices. Sleeve increased the bearing size by .020 and did a ton of work never failing.

CNC people one I went to useless. Millions in machines, so what. Ill harp on old guys for the rest of my old life because ive seen what they can do. You picked the wrong guy.

German trained tool and die maker, one man shop, make this square with a file when he learned. Worked to .0005 easy and made some of his own tooling. When I asked him to make a sleeve for a router bit bearing he said do you want slip fit interferance fit or press fit. I said you can do that? Maybe the wrong words but three choices. Sleeve increased the bearing size by .020 and did a ton of work never failing.

CNC people one I went to useless. Millions in machines, so what. Ill harp on old guys for the rest of my old life because ive seen what they can do. You picked the wrong guy.
    He is an old guy who has been a leading tool maker all his working life. Casting aspersions about people you know nothing about is a very poor look so why do it?
    Chris

You said it wasnt machined spot on. You don't need to ask me what you already answered yourself. The CNC shop was off way more. First time .100.

Ive been around a lot of craftsman in different trades over the years, the difference in what they can do can be pretty large.

You said it wasnt machined spot on. You don't need to ask me what you already answered yourself. The CNC shop was off way more. First time .100.

Ive been around a lot of craftsman in different trades over the years, the difference in what they can do can be pretty large.
    Manufacturers can't get it right so I'll give him a pass. Have you had a dado set machined to suit a pin drive 30mm bore?
    Chris

dadoes blades bored out for a shaper, saw blades bored out for a shaper and other saw blades bored out for other stuff. One guy made a face plate and done on a lathe. This guy done on a Bridgeport. There is a tolerance above a shaft size for tooling as it has to fit on. He was very accurate with simple machines and had tons of tooling. Shop was a mess, work excellent.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-06-2023 at 11:02 PM.