Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1) What 4" T-Square and Rulers to get? 2) Powermatic Spiral head Upgrade in 3 weeks!

Starrett, 4”,6”, 12” combination, also have a 24” rule for the 12” combo along with multiple 6” rules of various configurations a few of them hooks which i use a lot. I have had the 6” and the 12” for almost 30 years of ww, the 6” has been used so much that I wore the seat to the point that it is out of square so i need to make an adjustment. The Mitutoyo’s are pretty much equal but I would buy a Starrett unless there was a good deal on a Mitutoyo.

I have tried PEC combo’s, there rules may be fine but the combos are junk, after you have used a Starrett, the machining is unrefined and most annoying is the lock down nut isn’t keyed so if you take the rule out getting it back in is a pain

For whatever reason i don’t really like to use fixed blade squares, I do have a few though. I have a One of the original Bridge City 6” the brass with Rose wood bought around 92’, an inexpensive but fairly precise machinist square for machine setup and a St J tool square from 1874 still pretty square considering it’s age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I have tried PEC combo’s, there rules may be fine but the combos are junk, after you have used a Starrett, the machining is unrefined and most annoying is the lock down nut isn’t keyed so if you take the rule out getting it back in is a pain
    I found the same issues with IGaging double squares. Bought 3 a while back for like $10 a piece. Tried for a few hours to get any 1 of them to move smoothly and gave up. One of these days when I purge the shop of unused tools, they'll be in that bin.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by MARTA TORRES-QUINONES View Post
    PEC tools. They are pretty good and moderately priced. They are made in the USA by Products Engineering Corporation (PEC Tools) if that is of import. I get them at Harry Epstein or Taytools. If you do not mind, you can buy blemished as well (I put additional blemishes on mine so I don't mind). I like their rules too.
    Of course, if you can afford Starrett, they're pretty much the gold standard IMO. But I usually cannot. So I agree with Marta. I buy PEC double squares from Harry Epstein. And for rules, I REALLY like this set from Lee Valley. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The PEC double square looks promising. The cost of Starret or Woodpeckers are too high for me to justify.

Lee Valley and Amazon have good reviewed pocket rules. I think they will be handy in spots where a tape measure is not.

I really like Starrett, but also look for used Lufkin tools. I think that they were Starrett’s equal back in the day.