Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Spent Friday and Saturday splitting and stacking firewood, so now we're good to go for the rest of the winter....IF...winter ever really shows up here in Conway.

Spent about 2 hours in the shop after church on Sunday. Roughed out 2 Yellow Poplar bowls and put them in the Alchy Bath.

Spent some time researching various music items for practicing my bass guitar with...Band-In-A-Box does look promising.

I'm BACK OnCall this week...so it's NOT going to be a very good week.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Spent the weekend in Columbus with my brother and his wife. Friday we went to the Woodworking show which was kind of disappointing as it really was no different than the Detroit show. The lumber dealers that were there were just handing out fliers and business cards. Saturday we went to Woodwerks which was having an in-store show that was much better. I did pick up some supplies at both shows and a Make-It-Snappy system at the Woodworking Show

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Dennis,
    We've already discussed that "on-Call" business. Sorry to hear it,
    Productive weekend. Had a paint crew in. "people Who owe favors" and knocked out a large portion on prep and paint for the home remuttle. Milled up some trim for the projects and redid some of the trim I wasn't happy with. It's coming along.
    Have a safe week.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Finished my cherry blanket chest (already posted) put a new link belt on my bandsaw (runs smoother) made two small computer stands for the two computer towers in the den. fixed the toilet in the kids bathroom. all in all a productive weekend.

rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

We had unusually nice weather in Houston, dry air from the north and about 75. Lovely.

So we took advantage of the day and cleaned up some of the garden; moved some plants to a (hopefully) more advantageous spot; and whacked some azalea's that had decided to move on the azalea heaven.

After church on Sunday got a little shop time and started a rehab of a chair that was in my Sunday School class in Muncie IN in the 1950's.

Chair 1 (Small).JPG

After a cleaning to get the grunge off, it's been hanging on a nail in 4 differnet garages for 30 years, I gave it a light sanding and loosened the old glue in the sockets with a chisel.

Chair 2 (Small).JPG

The back is secured with wedges up from the bottom, so I think I'll replace those, give it a fresh coat of stain, and then varnish.

The chair will go the the youngest granddaughter, 18 months. She can drag it around the house and use it as a stool to help mom in the kitchen.

Had the granddaughter's (and their parents) for Sunday night dinner,
    and watched 24!

Nice weekend. All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Dennis, you insured that winter will be mild when you put in that new wood stove!
    -----

My weekend did include some "woodworking" time with my oldest daughter as well as some cleanup time and work outfitting my grinder for more precision. We also saw "Hoodwinked" yesterday at the cinema...an interesting take on Little Red Riding Hood. Quite funny, especially for an adult that remembers many of the story references.

Have a nice week, folks!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

wood haul

I bought 250 board feet of rough lumber from a local guy with a small saw mill. Some 4/4 red oak, some 4/4 hard maple, even more 4/4 and 8/4 ash. All pretty good looking wood, all 8 ft lengths and some 18in widths. All shed-dried.

He charges from $1.25 to $1.50 per bd/ft (species based) so he rounded it to $1.30. Total was about $330. And he is a very nice guy who lets you pick through the pallets.
    Bought as much as I felt safe hauling in my Explorer.

I would send pictures but I need to get a decent camera. Sorry.

Got a good start on the kayak project. All frames are cut out. Also got the parts cut and routed for the 12' box beam for the strongback. Hope to be paddeling by spring.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Tidying up the house! My sister arrives today to meet the new baby and then the in-laws come in another week to stay for a couple of weeks.
    I'm thinking of telling them that the best thing they can do for our new boy is pull weeds in the back...think they'll buy it?

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Frosty Weekend

The weather sucked outside...wet turning to ice on Saturday and single digit temperatures on Sunday. A great two days to bum around in the gar..shop.

Saturday began with a coat of pastwax on all metal surfaces. The water from the kerosene heaters wreaks havok on the cast iron. I finished the drawers for a sewing cabinet (Rockler plans) that I'm making for the wife. I also started milling up some red maple to make an overarm blade guard for the tablesaw. I've been running naked with just a splitter for too long. I used some scrap baltic birch for the head assembly.

I plan on having the guard finished next weekend. Then on to some shaker night tables.

Tom

Let's see. finished my on-call this Friday, me and Dennis are in the same business unit but different teams, so I am on a different on-call rotation. No WW'ing projects in sight so I am spending weekends doing things around the house and spending time with the kids.

Tom, I just noticed that you are from Syracuse. I went to SU, class of '98(post grad) from School of information studies.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Dennis, you insured that winter will be mild when you put in that new wood stove!
    -----
    Figgers...!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Not much woodworking during hockey season...

Both of my sons had games on Saturday morning. Then, we traveled to Minneapolis for an NHL game. Unfortunately, the Minnesota Wild lost to Calgary. During the first intermission my 5 year-old son played a mini-game with some other kids from his team. Here's a link to some video on the Wild web site: Little Chippers. It's pretty cute to watch them play when they're so little.

The Xcel Energy Center where the Wild play is just around the corner from Seven Corners Hardware. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go drool on any of the tools.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Trim, trim, trim ... base, door casing, etc.

I spent a great (long for us) weekend with my friend Terry West working on a oak cabinet that we are building for him. We finished the building phase and now only the finishing (which Terry will do at home) is left. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29501

I also started replacing another lower cupboard in my kitchen with drawers. The set of drawers that I built and installed last week is described in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29405