Thread: Anybody use this Diamond Stone?

Anybody use this Diamond Stone?

Seems to have equal reviews to Trend and Atoma at 1/2 the price. Anybody have direct experience with this brand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRWN1PV...lig_dp_it&th=1

These or the equivalents on ebay are better deals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homend-8-x-...-/393564580506

Really? Never heard of the brand. I take it they're an electroplated monocrystal? Looks like a metallic substrate. Is it Al? Not much clear description there.

Says: "Stone adopt lector plated Diamond technology". What the heck is that?
    Last edited by Alvaro Portante; 01-26-2022 at 7:23 PM.

I do not have that diamond plate (I have a coarse and X-fine DMT). BUT I DO actually have the Sharpal double sided field stone with 325 on one side and 1200 on the other. I liked the first one so much I bought a second. One is in the kitchen for kitchen knives and when I come in the house from doing yard work destroying my pocket knife. The other is in my woodshop and it takes an absolute beating. I mostly use it for my pocket and fixed blade knives, including lots of changing bevel angles (a real workout) in addition to using it for my hatchets and my drawknife – it also goes camping with me. I think I’ve had that one for three years, and like I said it’s gotten a lot of abuse. Other than the handle getting dirty, it’s still in perfect condition. No damage whatsoever to the diamonds. And this is of course using it without any lubrication. So I suspect the stone you are looking at is good and if I were in the market for a double-sided stone, I probably would buy it myself.

Thanks Chris. Much appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    These or the equivalents on ebay are better deals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homend-8-x-...-/393564580506
    I've actually bought this one with a stone holder for, I think, 23$ shipped. Pretty good actually, it's just can't really tell whether they will wear as good as DMTs or similar.

Got myself a diamond "foil" or a "film" I guess - a thin aluminum plate with diamond coating, following an advise from that one particularly popular UK woodworking entertainer. It is supposed to be glued to a base like Atoma stones. A complete waste of money, a bald spot developed right in the middle after a few weeks of gentle usage. This one from ebay holds okay so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dover View Post
    I've actually bought this one with a stone holder for, I think, 23$ shipped. Pretty good actually, it's just can't really tell whether they will wear as good as DMTs or similar.

Got myself a diamond "foil" or a "film" I guess - a thin aluminum plate with diamond coating, following an advise from that one particularly popular UK woodworking entertainer. It is supposed to be glued to a base like Atoma stones. A complete waste of money
    Mine is holding up so far. After a couple of years my coarse DMT plate is pretty much a fine grit stone, I'd say it wasn't worth the money I spent on it. I also got a set of those thin diamond cards, they haven't gone bald, but I don't like to use them.

Some people just want confirmation of what they want to get, get all riled up if you don't give them the answer they want.

I only get riled up when I spill my beer. Aside from that, just wondering if a 2x price for a brand name is really worth 2x. If I can get 80-90% performance for 1/2 the cost - that's for me.

I've had a few DMTs and this double sided 3"x8" "card" ... I don't know where it came from and has no markings, but it's been working good. My DMT fine (red) is wearing out and has dead spots. My King wet stones work great, but wow, messy and a hassle. So just poking around for a refresh on my sharpening setup that doesn't involve $100s and gives me value.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro Portante View Post
    Seems to have equal reviews to Trend and Atoma at 1/2 the price. Anybody have direct experience with this brand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRWN1PV...lig_dp_it&th=1
    I have similar 2-sided diamond stones I ordered from Woodturners Wonders. Use them a lot.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro Portante View Post
    So just poking around for a refresh on my sharpening setup that doesn't involve $100s and gives me value.
    Get an India combo stone, it's like 25$. Getting single grit stones is better and would still be within 100$ budget for 3 grits, but idk whether you would like it. I'm personally in love with them.

There are quite good no-name "made in USA" oilstones on eBay, they were 10$ a pop. Can't tell the difference between them and Nortons so far, but it might have been just luck. Also, every once in a while there's a deal on Norton's tri-hone IM200, currently it's ~90$ on Amazon. I assume you have a strop alreaady?

I've started with diamonds too. My DMTs are worn and slow, but no dead spots. Started experimenting out of boredom, got a few Arkansas stones, some man-made stones and never looked back. Not sure whether it was a different technique or the stones, but I remember how much sharper my tools were on oilstones.
    Last edited by Jack Dover; 01-28-2022 at 1:21 PM. Reason: a word