Thread: Logging into a network device.....

Logging into a network device.....

I am trying to log into my D-link DSL modem model 520B and it just does not work. The address 192.168.1.1 and is according to the user manual. I am doing something wrong but cannot see what it is?

A little more detail would be useful. How is it failing? Any error messages?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    A little more detail would be useful. How is it failing? Any error messages?
    I get a message like " the connection has times out" An error occurred during connection to 168.192.1.1

Watch that you entered the IP address correctly (you have two different ones in each of the emails) (I think the 192.168.1.1 is the default for that D-link)
    It is possible that the modem was reconfigured to have a different IP address.

I think you can open a CMD prompt and type IPCONFIG and it should show you the default gateway which should be the address.

John's method should work, unless you have another router device between your modem and your computer. Since your D-Link unit is a modem/router combo, you likely don't have another router in between.

I’ve just had this problem. Somehow my router address had changed. I can’t remember the exact instructions but I did go to a free wifi zone and did a search; found out the default address within the “cmd” system (I have a Windows computer).
    Once you have the basics written down, go back and replug in, follow the instructions again and you’ll have your current router address.
    Hope it helps.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

In worse case, reset the modem to factory settings. That should make the address 192.168.1.1

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    In worse case, reset the modem to factory settings. That should make the address 192.168.1.1

Mike
    So the problem turned out to be only HTTP was needed before the numeric address of 192.168.1.1 and not HTTPS as I was putting. Another poster noted that I changed the address from one post to another...that is only my dylexia kicking in. So thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.