Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gnarly firewood

Don’t split them at all. Turn them on a lathe to make some bowls for snacks to go with the beer while sitting by the fire.

an old tire. put the whole section in and split it all up before removing it.

ive saved enough wood over the years spalted curly whatever, lots of it, always think there is some jewel inside and likely is with much of it. It stops me from putting it in the stove. I only have a small lathe and an old one from England that is in storage. Some small turning could be done Ive saved some big blanks of Ambrosia as well, likely enough to turn 50 bowls there. Gave some to a guy from a forum close by and he made the two bowls below. He has one of the fancy Oneway lathes and accessories.

Ive seen the tire trick for keeping stuff contained, never tried it dont really need to. Tire would do zero for this wood, this the wood that wont split. Anyone who has split enough ash knows there are going to be some amount that are just grief. I have a modified axe that works better than new.

A large portion of this ash tree was almost disappointing it blows up so easy like its a piece of china. I never thought to pay attention but likely stuff up and over 12 -14" or more splits easily. The one I did in discs was fine, inside it doesnt feel right to me. The potential to roll, plus often I work from the front under section of the blade, cant do that unless you use your foot and I waned t get away from that. The guy that told me about discs has split over 400 bush cords of wood. He also told me on the 20- 24" stuff or more to knock a side chunk off and work around in a circle so I listened and that worked really well.

werwer.JPGCapturewererr.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-03-2022 at 12:18 AM.

havent had time to make something up but went out and cut a gaggle of them today. Saw some old horses out back flopped it down and put a strap which bent the 2 x 4 enough that it held. On a few I put a shim off cut in the front and it worked even better, very tight. Talked to a guy yesterday that sells chainsaws and he said they go in the firepit, Wranglestar you tuber said same thing. Not an option. Ive burned a number of them as discs and put into a fire that has been going for a while they burn very well. I know this is ickey mouse but there wasnt time and just wanted to get the stuff cut.

P1680204A.jpg