Thread: Gyro Air G-700 VS Powermatic PM2200 Cyclonic Collector

Gyro Air G-700 VS Powermatic PM2200 Cyclonic Collector

I'm desperately in need of new dust collection and despite all the buzz about the harvey I really don't know that I'm sold on it. Noise is of consideration for me, but I'm always wearing hearing protection in the shop anyway, so 72 for harvey vs 78 decibels for powermatic isn't a big deal to me. The powermatic has higher HP, 3 vs 2. Higher CFM 1500 vs 1100. Larger canister, 63 gallons vs 32.

Anyone have any major reasons to consider the harvey over the powermatic in this situation?

The Powermatic CFM claim is with an 8" inlet. You won't get close to 1500 in actual shop use.

The Powermatic specs do not include a fan curve so it's difficult to tell what you're really getting.

The Harvey has a VFD on it's 2 hp motor making it more effective in dust collector use than 3 hp.

The Powermatic is the same basic short cone cyclone import sold under numerous brand names. They may vary slightly in appearance and convenience features but they share the same internal configuration.

The short cone design requires a large diameter lower outlet, making it more susceptible to re-entrainment of material in the canister. It's often recommended to empty the canister when half full to reduce filter loading, lowering the effective volume of the canister by about half.

Those are the first few things that come to mind when I compare the two.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Unless you need the reduced height of the short-cone style collector I'd keep looking. I have the 2HP Jet model and need to empty the filter collection bag one for about every 5 of the main bin. Also, the metal strap & bag are a hassle to change; I'm surprised that PM didn't move up to some sort of solid collection cup under the filter.

Wouldn't Oneida, Clear Vue, or even Grizzly or Southbend offer better alternatives for same or less money? The G-700 sure gets good reviews from those that have bought it. I too struggle with the basic tech-specs on the G-700. But everyone says it's quite effective. I love the form factor and quietness, especially if you cannot isolate the collector (from you, your family, and your neighbors), and just don't have the ceiling clearance.

My ceiling is definitely low, sub 8'

Maybe I need to give the harvey better consideration...

My current setup has the metal strap and bag, but I bought bigger bags and a rolling bin to sit under it so it's not too bad.

The South Bend is the same basic model as the PM, but with a solid container, for $2895. The filter is different, but 1micron on the SB is pretty good for woodworking. It has the solid bottom under the filter. Wish I had that...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sou...llector/sb1099
    Last edited by derek labian; 02-03-2022 at 9:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    The South Bend is the same basic model as the PM, but with a solid container, for $2895. The filter is different, but 1micron on the SB is pretty good for woodworking. It has the solid bottom under the filter. Wish I had that...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sou...llector/sb1099
    First holy 50% price increase batman , I purchased the Shop Fox version of this 3hp cyclone only 11 months ago for a lot less. Been happy with it but there are issues. The chip barrel is a laughable embarrassment. The ahem, steel?? is only .025 inch thick you can crush the barrel flat with your bare hands. Mine arrived welded together so crooked and misshapen it had to be replaced. On the plus side the impeller is actually thick steel not aluminum as the spec sheet says. The base is also a step up from many other cyclone in this price range, thick and rugged vs Powermatic flat sheet metal platform. My Shop Fox has the tubular sides also quite stout though the Sound Bend also looks great. Less impressed with the Powermatic sides. And what's with its two piece bolt together sides? Guessing they did that to shrink the size of the shipping container.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    First holy 50% price increase batman , I purchased the Shop Fox version of this 3hp cyclone only 11 months ago for a lot less. Been happy with it but there are issues. The chip barrel is a laughable embarrassment. The ahem, steel?? is only .025 inch thick you can crush the barrel flat with your bare hands. Mine arrived welded together so crooked and misshapen it had to be replaced. On the plus side the impeller is actually thick steel not aluminum as the spec sheet says. The base is also a step up from many other cyclone in this price range, thick and rugged vs Powermatic flat sheet metal platform. My Shop Fox has the tubular sides also quite stout though the Sound Bend also looks great. Less impressed with the Powermatic sides. And what's with its two piece bolt together sides? Guessing they did that to shrink the size of the shipping container.
    The South Bend is a step up from the Shop Fox 3HP in a number of ways. It's like comparing Jet to Powermatic for Grizzly. The agitator, solid bottom, and generally better build in all components is what you get. I purchased that same Shopfox 3HP because it was such a good deal. I think your description is pretty accurate, but it has done a good job for me, so no real complaints.
    Last edited by derek labian; 02-06-2022 at 6:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    The South Bend is a step up from the Shop Fox 3HP in a number of ways. It's like comparing Jet to Powermatic for Grizzly. The agitator, solid bottom, and generally better build in all components is what you get. I purchased that same Shopfox 3HP because it was such a good deal. I think your description is pretty accurate, but it has done a good job for me, so no real complaints.
    Okay "better build in all components" list them because I don't buy that. The motorized agitator is a feature I have no use for, like the gentle cycle on my washing machine. Ditto for the solid bottom. Same here my Shop Fox is doing great and is a lot quieter than my previous 2hp cyclone. Using flex hoses is getting on my last nerve though, I was looking at this photo the other day of metal ducting while daydreaming.

1895CDB2-2935-4E99-98DC-56BF1CDDAD73.jpg