Thread: Recommended books on cabinet making?

Recommended books on cabinet making?

Did not want to hijack any of the cabinet related threads so created a new one.

What are some good books on cabinet (kitchen) making to learn techniques? Any recommendations will be very helpful.

I will use an analogy to describe what I am looking for. Let's say I have to make a small box. Then I know type of joints I can use on corners. And, I mostly know the positives and negatives of choosing a particular joint.

Same way I am looking for a book that describes different techniques used in cabinet construction and their positive/negatives. If book includes details on material choices that will be perfect. I prefer drawings to photos but either works. Another area that will be very helpful is if the book talks about hanging cabinets - specifically leveling them.

Regards,
    Anuj

I used a few books to help learn basic cabinetry. You prefer drawings to pictures, so the Time Life series that have spines seem the best. There is one book on Kitchen Cabinets and another on Cabinetmaking. Between the two books they cover most everything you can want. The spiral-bound method lets you take them with you in the shop and not have pages turn. You can purchase them pre-owned in very good condition online.
    Time Life Books.jpg IMG_5125.jpg

Another decent book is from Family Handyman and is entitled Creating Custom Cabinetry, but it has more pictures than drawings.

Family Handyman.jpg IMG_5122.jpg

The Wordsmith series by Time Life has good ideas in the various books, but they are not for kitchen cabinetry.

IMG_5119.jpg

I read a many of the books to get the best of all worlds. Most of these books are found in a reasonably sized library, or order them pre-owned and start a small library. Good luck.

The only one I have is Danny Proulx frameless. It’s the only way I build them, adding a face frame is easy. Not applicable to FF doors.

Don't discount utube videos. I found some that were useful whn I built mine.

It's kinda old, but a good one...... Illustrated Cabenetmaking by Bill Hylton. It's more of a furniture building book, with one or two chapters that are specific to kitchen cabinets, but the techniques throughout the book can be used for, well....all kinds of things. It's my reference book for almost any question that comes up.

this is what we had in school 40 years ago. Not sure what they use now but will ask.

1246.jpg

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful.

Now time to hit Amazon and find which one is available

Anuj,

this is a book that I found very useful when I built the cabinets.

E2F7F575-0B1C-446A-A07F-ED533B8DA84D.jpeg

Not a book but a video series. Norm Abrahms of The New Yankee Workshop put out a video series on making an entire set of Kitchen cabinets, not 'great' but definitely worth a look IMO. I haven't looked in years, but I did watch them and got some ideas for some projects I was working on. I assume they are still available somewhere if desired.

I miss Norm...... Used to love watching New Yankee Workshop. I still use his router table I built, ~20 years ago.

Greg Paulini: Building Kitchen Cabinets Made Simple: with DVD.

I ended up ordering two books: Time series - Kitchen Cabinets and Illustrated Cabenetmaking.

Have noted down all others as well. Knowing myself, I will most likely end up ordering others as well when a deal comes along.

Thanks again everyone!

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Watch Craig Sommerfeld's video on making kitchen cabinets ... very strong, and quite simple.

Bob Lang's The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker, Revised Edition is excellent. You can see previews on that book site. It has information on some of the issues you are interested in.