Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander

I was recently on this quest myself and I finally decided it's a tool that can get some use in my shop. I was leaning towards the JET myself (have many other JET products) and while it seems like a substantial unit and is probably great, it also seemed like a huge pricepoint difference with other options out there. I was also considering the Laguna, which I could be wrong, but I'm guessing is an Asian model. That all said, I decided to go with the WEN also....it is, as best I can tell, identical to so many other machines that are on the market (probably the Triton too) and is dirt cheap. I'm a Prime member so I bought it on Amazon for under $100 with the extra sleeve package and a belt cleaner. It has free returns, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I've used it a few times so far and overall I'm highly impressed. I don't know how long it will last, and I might make a custom table to mount it in to have more surface, but I could buy almost 10 of them for the same price as the JET. If you're not using this type of tool every day then I'd highly suggest saving some money or putting it to better use and get one of these. BTW, with a good shop vac (not my collection system) I don't have a spec of dust on the machine...for the money so far can't be beat.

Whatever you buy compare the stroke length and go for more. I have the shop fox and I think it is only 5/8" stroke. If I am sanding only say 3/4 stock I am only using a small part of the abrasive. Flip it and wear on the other side but you never use but a third or so of the abrasive.

That makes sense, Russell. Not something I'd thought about before. Thanks.

I must admit I really like the Jet but I'm still comparing models.

I'm trying to see if I can actually swing a floor model versus a benchtop unit.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hayes View Post
    Whatever you buy compare the stroke length and go for more. I have the shop fox and I think it is only 5/8" stroke. If I am sanding only say 3/4 stock I am only using a small part of the abrasive. Flip it and wear on the other side but you never use but a third or so of the abrasive.
    The sleeve can also be cut shorter on each end, removing the worn sections. Doing this will allow you to use the untouched center section.

The Ryobi is a surprisingly good tool.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The Ryobi is a surprisingly good tool.
    Is that a new tool?
    I've never seen a Ryobi spindle sander.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Is that a new tool?
    I've never seen a Ryobi spindle sander.
    Mine is ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    All -

I have an old Delta Boss spindle sander that recently died on me.
    What died on the Delta Boss? If it's the gear (nylon I think) that moves the spindle up and down, Boston Gear sells replacements. Those are known to be a weak point. I don't have a part number unfortunately.

A few years ago I was looking for a benchtop OSS. I kind of liked the one that had both spindles and a sanding belt. So what did I do? I got the Grizzly floor model (1071 I think). It was under a thousand but I'm sure like everything it's gone up. The only issue I've had is the Grizzly sleeves are a bit tight so they are hard to get on and off. But I've been buying replacements from Klingspor and they are slightly larger so they slide right on and when the nut is tighten they don't slip. I just wish they would label the grit on the inside of them as the medium and fine look very similar. If you can find room I would get a floor model one. Nice large table and lots of mass. I did modify the dust collection. I took a piece of 4" exhaust pipe with a magnet attached to it that I stick to the table where it's not in the way so it's sucking from underneath and on top.

If you want a floor model, I would take a hard pass on the Grizzly. This is what I bought, used.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Mine is ancient.
    Ok - that would explain it then. Yours must go back to the days when Ryobi made decent heavy duty equipment.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I got the Triton after Christmas from Rockler. I have been happy with it. The wife and I did a set of handles for some steak knives and it worked great and the dust collection did a great job.

I gotta whatever the Rigid. I've got one, and it's been great, and I have yet to see anybody on youtube with anything else. It's a bit uncanny, like they're secretly part of an alien invasion of mind snatchers or something.

I bought the Triton spindle/belt sander about 4 years ago at a trade show. It has been running without problems whenever I need it since then. It was a considerable upgrade over the Ryobi spindle sander. It had the hiccups (spindle jumping up and down rapidly at random times) shortly after I bought it, and I complained to Ryobi. They sent me new gears for it, and it didn't fix the problem. It still had the hiccups, but not as often. Finally I found the Triton and bought it. I gave the Ryobi a toss into the trash bin after running the Triton a few times.

Charley

I need to replace the belts and sleeves on my Ridgid Spindle Sander, they are getting pretty worn. Does everyone just buy a generic brand or a name brand like Norton or Klingspor?