I was given a 2" greenlee chisel.

The chisel has no handle, it came in some kind of "dip" coating that you peel off and I have seen on other tools. The top part, which did not have this coating was rusted so I removed the rust. I think that the chisel is new / unused / unsharpened.

The chisel is stamped "Rockford ILL USA" with GREENLEE in the middle.

greenlee_PXL_20220202_063001415.jpg

greenlee2_PXL_20220202_063424177.jpg

I removed the protective coating because a friend came over and said "we need to make a handle for that" (he has the ability to turn things, i do not) and he wanted to start by flattening the back so that I could sharpen the blade.

The back will require a lot of work to get flat (sadly).

I measured the bevel and I think that it is 22.5 degrees.

I expected an angle between 25 and 30 but this really looks like the untouched factory bevel. I now have two 2" chisels, so I will probably keep this one at the factory angle until it proves to be a problem.

I believe this to be an older example of the Greenlee (before they had green handled chisels that looked like Marpels; yeah, I have been trying to find information online, I do not know these things off the top of my head).

Thoughts or information on this chisel? Thoughts on keeping the angle at 22.5 degrees since I have another that I think is at 25 or 30 (I do not remember).