Thread: Keepsake Box, in Red Oak, Paul Sellers' Plans

Keepsake Box, in Red Oak, Paul Sellers' Plans

Had bought some "Project Boards" at Lowes, and was looking around for a Project to use some of it up. Started with a 1/2" x 5-1/2" x 48" plank. Paul Sellers had a Masterclasses Video (FREE!!!) with downloadable plans. And this is what became of that plank..plus 2 other small boards....
    Sellers Project, close the lid.JPG
    4" tall, not counting the feet, 6" wide on the ends, 12" long..not too fancy?
    Sellers Project, Chained Lid.JPG
    Well, there is a carved finger lift...a chain to hold the lid open, and a divider that can be removed as needed.
    Sellers Project, Mini-bun feet.JPG
    Simple little "bun" feet...but an end view shows off...
    Sellers Project, end view.JPG
    All 4 sides are hand planed into a curve..and the dovetails go along for the ride
    Sellers Project, no gap back.JPG
    Bottom and lid panels float in grooves, BTW...
    2 coats of Amber Shellac for the finish...

Simple, little box...could always go back and add a felt liner..sometime...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Nice work especially the joints and curved sides. The grain pattern on the back is something I would have highlighted either on the front or lid. That's just me, though. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Grain pattern on the back was due to a large knot being there, that loved to tear out whenever a plane would go past....Safer to have it round in back...Most of the trouble spot is right under the right-side hinge....was a bit hard to plane that area to the curve I needed.

All 4 sides were planed to a curve, before they were glued together. Just the outsides were curved, insides are straight...Dovetails were cut to conform to that curve. Ends have a shallow rebate...to help lay out the pins.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use