Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Species segmented ring question

Multi Species segmented ring question

Hi All

Im new to segmented turning and have what may be considered a super basic question (I learned long time ago not to consider my questions as "dumb" so I use the word basic instead), I am making my first painted bowl design with a combination of Maple, walnut, and Padauk. I have milled the stock to the correct width and thickness, then did the typical marking of the top and one edge so that when assembling the ring I can alternate the pieces to make up for any inconsistencies in the pieces. Since the ring is made up of three different pieces of stock, I cut the required number for each species all at once - all the maple, all the walnut, and then the Padauk. Now when I am assembling the ring in the required order or combination I am not able to maintain the "alternating" pattern of pieces like I do when I cut all segments from the same board or species. So my question is should I worry so much about this and perhaps make the cuts on the sled species by species following the ring pattern I have to make. This seems like it would add a level of complexity on top of something this already mildly complex to keep track of. Am I over thinking things here and should not worry so much about this alternating pattern?

Thanks in advance

TomD

Curious timing on your question as I ran into this situation today. I always run a line down the stock so I can flip every other piece, figuring it "cancels out" any deviation from 90 degrees on my saw. Today I used two separate sticks of wood to make one segmented ring. I marked one piece with a line and forgot to mark the other one. Now I have 6 pieces marked and 6 pieces unmarked for a 12-segment ring. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out the order of the unmarked wedges based on the grain, but gave up. I decided to just dry-fit the ring in random order and it closed up perfectly. If you take the time to make sure your blade is dead-on 90 degrees, I personally don't think it matters if you flip every other piece. If the cuts aren't 90, then it matters.

So to answer your question, I'd just dry fit the pieces - if they close up flat you're good to go.
    Last edited by Steve Engelschall; 02-02-2022 at 7:25 PM.

I've done hundreds of various rings with different woods. What I do is I count the segments as I cut them, from front fence is always an odd number and back fence an even number. When cutting a different wood I go back to the same sequence, if you are off by a couple segments (front to back fence) it makes very little difference. If you are unsure like Steve mentioned, do a dry run first.

I make a lot of segmented rings when building banjo rims, and just let them fall randomly into a bucket, only keeping them separated by species and size. If the bandsaw or whatever saw you use is set up right it won't matter about flipping them or not.

I am determined to crack this code called Segmented turning - so far it is winning but I will stay at it !!!! Today I glued up a 48 seg ring (mixed species as discussed above). Due to the small size of the segments and the many glue surfaces (48*2) I decided to try out the rub joint technique as the hose clamp routine was giving me fits. Well as you can see from the pics below this did not turn out well at all.... The half rings dont even come close to aligning and I have no clue why??? I went back and checked the angles on both sled fences as well as the Segment edge stop measurement - all was set perfectly. In terms of my rub joint method I did the typical - two by two, then four by four...etc until I got to the full 24 seg ring. I checked the SEL on each piece of the half ring and they seem to very close so im kind of at a loss for what could have happened? I double checked the angles and SEL stop again and re-cut all new pieces - does anyone have any suggestions for me based on the disaster of a first attempt before I start to glue up attempt #2 ???

TomD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom DiBiasio; 02-03-2022 at 3:57 PM.

That is way off!

Can you tell us about your cutting setup? That might help in diagnosing where error is creeping in.

Thanks Jim for the fast response - I am using a home made wedgie sled with segeasy wedgies. I counted over and over again the segments as it seemed like maybe I was one short by the way it was lining up but it seems that I have the right number of segments.

The diameters of your two half rings don't match; there is some discrepancy (despite your measurements) in SEL. Over 48 segments, small errors can add up. To minimize this problem, I added a couple of small toggle clamps to my wedgie sled so the stock won't shift during cutting.

20220203_181616.jpg

Perhaps a house call is in order. Where are you in RI?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Looking closer at your segments, it does not look like they are of the same angles, it could be the angle of the camera but they definitely look off kilter

Ok so you know the old saying for the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results) well I can say I now feel INSANE. I took a second attempt at this 48 segment ring, this time I was super cautious when cutting the segments to ensure that the stock was tight against the fence, and that my push through the blade was smooth and at least to the mid point of the blade arc, well past the cut point. I even did a dry fit in a large hose clamp first for a sanity check and it seemed pretty good. When glueing this time I really took my time to ensure each progressive glue up was tight on the joint and flat to the table. Well as you can see from the pics below I have the exact same issue with the second ring !!!!

I took a few pics of my cutting setup, you can see the seg plate is tight to the fences, and the stop is dead on the .700" mark, I checked for "slop" in the miter bar slot and dont seem to detect any.

Jim I have ordered a few toggle clamps to try but honestly this time was making sure that I held the stock tight to the fence as well as maintain the SEL..... At this point im not sure I want to keep wasting stock and may have to take you up on your generous offer to come by my shop. In located in Kingston near the university.

Any further thoughts from the group?

TomD
    Last edited by Tom DiBiasio; 02-04-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Some thoughts...

1. Are you keeping the same side of your stock against the wedgie sled fences for every cut as you move back and forth between the two fences? Or are you using only one fence and flipping the stock for each cut? You shouldn't flip the stock as you cut the wedges, otherwise minor variations in stock width can change the angle ever so slightly.

2. When you rub-glue the wedges, are you keeping the OUTSIDE points/edges aligned? Here's a dry-fit example of two half-rings of a 12-segment ring. Note the outside points are aligned and the two halfs line up perfectly.

IMG_0025.jpg

In the following example, I purposely misaligned the outside points on two of the joints. Note how the two halfs don't line up. Small variations could have a large effect over 48 segments. This doesn't explain how you are getting half-circles with different radii, but something to watch out for anyways.

IMG_0027.jpg

3. You should consider starting with 12 (or maybe 16) segment rings before moving up to 48. You can also practice with wide stock, like maybe 2 inches, where errors will be magnified. Also, softer wood (e.g., walnut, soft maple) have "fuzzier" cuts and can mask errors. Harder woods (e.g. hard maple) have cleaner cuts and will expose errors in the setup.

Don't know if any of this helps, but this is what comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiBiasio View Post
    .... At this point im not sure I want to keep wasting stock...
    I haven't done a lot of segmenting yet, but in watching Malcom Tibbets videos, I learned to dial in angle settings using cheap mdf, then cutting with the project stock when I was happy.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Coming from a turner that has done a lot of flat work but no segmented turning. . .even if your pieces are cut perfectly, you have two things working against you for a freehand glue-up: 1) a very large number of segments in the ring; and 2) fairly narrow widths on your segments. Both contribute a lot of potential for variation in your glue-up, the former because very small errors in the orientation of individual joints can add up to big errors because there are so many pieces, and the latter because there is less registration between pieces and therefor harder to make sure the resulting angle is perfect.

My suggestion would be to cut a circle of ply equal to the nominal inner diameter and lay the pieces along it as you glue up; this will ensure that your ends meet, and if you have gaposus between pieces it will tell you your angles aren't right/consistent. In addition, after you do this you can put a band around the whole thing, remove the ply and cinch the perimeter. Or as someone else suggested, start with rings with fewer segments.

My advice, worth what you paid for it,

Dave

I always flip my strips between each cut, if the angle is correct and the saw is set up accurately they will fit fine. I don't think rub joints are a very feasible approach, especially with so many pieces. Clamping the ring equalizes the pressure on all the blocks. I lay out a strip of masking tape on my table, sticky side up, apply glue to one end of each piece of wood and stick them to the tape in a row, butted up tight against each other. When they're all in place I grab both ends of the masking tape and quickly pick them up and bring them together at the top of the circle. If you do this slowly the blocks will fall off the tape, so move fast. Then I lay the ring flat and put a band clamp around it. I always do 18 segments per ring, which is easier than 48, I imagine. To make the gluing easier I grab as many blocks as I can hold, usually 6, and hold them all in a stack so I can apply a double line of glue to one end of all 6 in one movement, using a glue bottle (or a mustard bottle in my case, since I am a cheapskate). This rim is one I glued last night and turned today for a customer who comes up with the pattern he wants.
    Last edited by Zachary Hoyt; 02-04-2022 at 6:07 PM.

And another thought...Is there any slop in the fit of the wedgie sled into the miter slot? I think any wiggle at all would cause the angles to vary enough to show up in a 48 segment ring.