Thread: laminating over laminate

laminating over laminate

If I scuff up existing laminate, can I glue new laminate over it? Thanks, Mark

That's exactly what we did for many, many store fixtures while I was working for a commercial cabinet shop during college. It seemed to work well although it was not a whole lot of fun. Good luck.

Brian

Yes. But use the solvent glue. Very stinky. Have a lot of ventatation when using it.

use 50-60 grit on a belt sander and don`t be nice! wash with lacquer thinner before gluing. and like steve says use the solvent based cement......02 tod

Yes it works, just don't put anything really hot on it later, or it can delaminate since the substrate isn't there as a heat sink.

Wes

I need to do the same thing. Laminate over laminate. Are you talking about the regular solvent contact cement that is normally used. Would two part epoxy work better?

Wow, something I know just a little bit about!!!

Hello Mark

Yes it can be done and the method is as described above by the other kind posters. I used 60 grit on my 3 x 21 belt sander and hand sanded where it wouldn't reach. Then I cleaned it with acetone or as Tod suggests, lacquer thinner. They both evaporate rather quickly and do a good job of cleaning the old lam. Yes, I also used the solvent base glue.

Questions.....Is this being done on site or is the top being removed and the re-lam is being done in a shop? How big is it? Is it builder's almond or builder's white laminate?

Why do I ask these questions? No matter how good of a job you do, it's not the same as glueing directly onto industrial grade particleboard. Particleboard and laminate are not that expensive. If it's a job that you want to really last, do it the right way and you won't have to re-do it some time in the future. Yes, it may last for quite some time, but it may not.

I do this for a living Mark. I have gone into houses where people think water got in between the laminate and particleboard and "lifted" their laminate countertop. Then I ask them how long ago they purchased the house and usually it is a few years ago or just recently. Then I kneel down and look under the countertop edge and there are two edges of craft paper showing. I then tap with my finger on the top of their countertop and hear hollow spots every foot or so. Translation: Someone did a relam and didn't do a really go job of glueing, roughing the top, or putting enough pressure to bond the new lam to the old. Or,...........the old was already giving way and they went over it to save money instead of buying or making a new custom countertop. The old Mr. Dressup strikes again!!!!There are many more reasons not to do it, versus's doing it.

Yes, it can be done and it can last depending on how you do it and what the condition of the existing laminate is. Obviously, if it were me, I'd make a new one unless I had almost no choice otherwise. The last relam job I did was in Feb. of 1997(why do I remember that?) and I will never do one for a customer again. Working on site in someone's kitchen creates quite a mess. It is actually more labor intensive then if I made it in my shop. If someone asks me if I can take off their old one and just go over it, I say no way, I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. If you can already get the top off, just make a template out of particleboard and you'll never have to worry about de-lamination ( BAD WORD, BAD WORD, in the countertop world!!). Good luck with whatever method you choose, and again, all of the posts from the guys who posted before me were right on the money. Take care.

David