Thread: Etching Tools

Etching Tools

Do any of you etch your tools? Upon cleaning some auction finds from dirt and grime, some previous owner's name emerged etched under the dirt/grime. I really dislike it.

Blog Entries
    I've marked some of my tools when I take my own tools to a habitat or church build project. That way I can tell which tools are mine versus someone else's when it is time to clean up. I haven't etched any of them though.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A wrap or two of good quality green 3M electrical tape (33? 35?) has led home a tool or two I loaned, and avoids discussion when I'm working with someone else and sharing tools. The tape is easy to find, there are multiple colors, and the tape does not deteriorate as quickly as other brands.

Yes, many of my tools are etched. Everyone in the machine shop had his/her tools etched. It helped them from "growing legs" and ending up in someone else's tool chest. Anything less permanent would just be removed by the "borrower".
    Last edited by Lisa Starr; 02-05-2022 at 5:32 PM.

All my tools are marked. Easy to prove stuff is mine on job sites where other trades run same stuff/brands. Also my insurance company asks for it as well as a detailed inventory list with model and serial numbers for all small power tools and nailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    All my tools are marked. Easy to prove stuff is mine on job sites where other trades run same stuff/brands. Also my insurance company asks for it as well as a detailed inventory list with model and serial numbers for all small power tools and nailers.
    Serial numbers on small tools? Wow.