Thread: sprayer reccomendations

sprayer reccomendations

Gmorning folks,

So i'm looking into sprayers. the first project is a kitchen cabinet door replacements.
    as far as i can tell, im going to be using SW emerald alkyd urethane.
    but after this project im probably going to be spraying the usual woodoworking finishes.
    I only want to cry once. i have been looking at the fuji Q4.

seems to get very good reviews, lays down a smooth finish. (on youtube videos anyway)
    im sure theres going to be a learning curve.
    some of the graco guns seem to be nice for about a third of the price, but im sure there are differences
    i may not understand yet.

any opinions will be appreciated.

Regards
    Eric

The Fuji should do a great job. A turbine unit offers the advantage of not having to have an air compressor, plus it's portable. If you already have a large air compressor, however, you can spend less by getting an HVLP conversion gun, and it will be a more versatile setup than a turbine, minus the portability. No right or wrong, just whatever fits your needs best.

Whatever you buy, get a 3M PPS system for it. It allows you to spray at any angle and makes cleanup much easier.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Whatever you buy, get a 3M PPS system for it. It allows you to spray at any angle and makes cleanup much easier.

John
    John,
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have a recommendation on a gun that works with the 3M PPS system? I have a Fuji gun that came with my HVLP but it's not a gravity feed.

Thanks,
    Scott

Strong +1 on the PPS system I'm a complete newbie at spray finishing, but it only took one use to convince me of the superiority of this system. I've been reusing the various components, so the "starter kit" will last me about forever.

Again, no experience to allow me to compare anything, but both I, and now my son, had basically immediate success with the Qualspray HVLP guns from Jeff Jewitt at Homestead. I liked the big one (pressure feed) so well that I then bought his touch up gun (gravity feed), which is perfect for small things like guitar bodies and turned objects. Using PPS with both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brader View Post
    John,
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have a recommendation on a gun that works with the 3M PPS system? I have a Fuji gun that came with my HVLP but it's not a gravity feed.

Thanks,
    Scott

The 3M PPS can work with just about any gun. With a gravity feed gun you could use any of the PPS cups. All you would need is the correct adapter for your gun.

I have a gun with a bottom mounted, pressure assisted cup. I have a 3M H/O PPS cup mounted to it, which has a low pressure port on the side. A hose runs from a low pressure regulator at the gun inlet to that port and regulates the pressure from 0 - 8 psi. At still higher pressure the relief valve on the cup will open to prevent a high pressure failure. I bought the PPS cup system as part of the package with the gun so it came with the correct adapter, low pressure regulator, etc.

Your Fuji uses a pressurized cup, correct? It is if there's a hose running from the gun to the cup or cup lid. The pressure is non-adjustable; it runs at whatever pressure the gun runs at, maybe 8 psi or so. And that's more than enough to use the H/O PPS cup with. My friend has a Fuji with a bottom mounted, pressurized cup, and converted it to the H/O PPS cup. He called Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing to get the correct adapter, but you can look it up on 3M's website. IIRC he removed the check valve in the stock pressure hose when he converted to the PPS system. Jeff can advise on exactly what you need and need to do. Or YouTube is nearly always your friend. It's a really simple conversion. Get rid of the stock cup, install the PPS adapter on the bottom of the gun, remove the check valve from the pressure line, if appropriate, plug the pressure line onto the side of the cup, and get to work.

John

Thanks for the detailed answer! I've emailed Jeff and will get an order together for him based on his response.

Have a great weekend.

Scott

If i do decide to go with the mini mite 4,
    anyone have thoughts on which gun ti go with?
    they seem to have two versions .
    the t75 g is gravity fed and have been leaning to that one.
    other than amount of finish that it holds, is there any other advantage
    to having the siphon style bottom cup?

Thank you Eric

Scott, I have a Fuji siphon gun and I also have the 3m PPS system. It works. You just need the right adapter. It was complicated to decipher, but here's what you want:

All of these parts are for the version 1.0 pps system. I don't believe the 2.0 works with our gun.

3m PPS Adapter Type 18 (I believe; double check this) 16054

3M PPS (Original Series) H/O Pressure Cup with Air Hose, 16121
    3M PPS (Original Series) Paint Spray Gun Cup Lids and Liners Kit, 16114
    I own both the 6oz and the 28oz cups. But i use the 6oz more; they're perfect for smaller projects.

Thank you, Prashun!!!

Eric,
    I have the siphon style and often wish I had gone with the gravity fed, instead. I virtually never use more finish at any one time than what easily fits into the gravity cup. The bigger gun is heavier and clunkier.

Scott

well, pulled the trigger.
    Hope the llearning curve wont be to steep.
    bought the fuji 4 with all the trimmings