Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roman Workbench - edge planing help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    This is what I was talking about in regards to edge planing the Japanese way.

Place this flat on the bench and register the side of the plane on top of the bench, as if you were shooting end grain (just, you're shooting long grain instead).

It helps to clamp everything down.

You can just use a board underneath the one you're planing to raise the work up to where the plane's blade will make full contact. You don't need a bench-hook like device as shown here if you use clamps.

I understand what you mean here. This would work great if the board wasn’t so much longer than the bench.

The best I’ve tried so far experimenting is working from my wheelchair.
    54A5A468-FB8F-459D-84D9-99452DD149DF.jpgC3932F36-1487-4541-9A1F-439EBF5A0D69.jpg

Blog Entries
    My curiosity is piqued about what you are making that requires such a long piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My curiosity is piqued about what you are making that requires such a long piece.

jtk
    Trestle dining table. I’m trying to preserve length for the sake of grain matching on the top. It is going to be 7 1/2 to 8 feet long. I’m cutting most of the boards down to 9’ to get rid of checking/cracks.