Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using spade bits in a drill press?

Using spade bits in a drill press?

(Starting a new thread to avoid hijacking another.)

In another thread, someone mentioned that "spade / paddle bit are not advisable on a drill press. Many have disclaimers to this effect." That warning caught my attention and I'd like to hear what folks know on the topic.

I checked the manual for my dp, and it doesnt warn against using spade bits. I has specific recommendations for how to safely position and hold the wood being drilled though. Googling turned up some examples of a piece getting away from the operator. But that seemed to be when the part was not being positioned/held as recommended in my manual.

What do you folks know?

Thanks.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't see a problem. Just make sure the part is held securely and you choose the proper spindle speed.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Not positive, but I think with drill presses you want to avoid the bits with a screw point that pull the bit into the wood. In that case the bit is advanced by the screw thread and the operator cannot control the feed. A spade bit with a plain point does not feed itself into the wood and advances only when the operator feeds it by the handles.

I blissfully used them in drill presses until I discovered Forstner bits. Mine always had dagger points rather than screw leads though. I guess the main thing I would worry about is someone not familiar with drill presses in general trying to use them at too high of speed and snapping the shank and/or throwing the spade, or not holding the work securely enough and having it grab and throw the work or spin and injuring the operator, or maybe advancing the bit too fast and having it grab and snap.

I guess I could see why a liability-conscious manufacture would not recommend them.

I'm going to speculate that one of the reasons for that caution is because of the physical format of a typical spade bit...very narrow shaft (typically a quarter inch) and then the wider business end that cuts when sharp but becomes more like a scraper as the sharp dissipates. So you have increased risk of runout even before you cut into the wood and the stress of turning that type of cutter can make that even more of a risk. Of course, I like many folks, occasionally use them in my DP. But never for "fine" work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just as a reference point, IIRC, the bit selection menu on my Nova DP has a spade bit option; that would seem to indicate they think it's OK. I agree with the others that the warning is most likely against the screw point variety...that would get exciting fast on a DP, and not in a good way! To be honest, I don't even like the screw points for any power drill use; they are a good way to get a sprained wrist when you hit a knot in construction lumber. And I agree with Jim that a spade bit is not the best choice when a precise hole is wanted.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

JB, agreed fine work, but for someone on a budget they are a cheap alternative. The newer ones with the pointed outer part and the scalloped cutting edge are pretty nice for the price.
    PFF, I had to drill through old 8” pilings that were wet from being driven into a marsh. Had a screw end. Like you said, got caught and snapped my wrist around real bad!

The spade bit warning might have been along the lines of "Do it right, or don't do it."

When I was a kid, working in a wood shop, one of the other kids put a 1 1/4" spade bit in a drill press to drill a hole in a Southern Yellow Pine board, free hand, no fence. The drill press speed was set for 3/16" twist drills, and fast for that. The wood chattered and moved, then flew, and the spade bit bent out at an angle, still whipping around. No one got hurt.

I've had them dislodge the quill on my 16" Delta more than once. That's actually a good thing as it just drops down and there is no drama. But I avoid them now for that reason and I have forstner bits.

If you must use them make sure they are sharp.

Of all the tools in my shop, the drill press is very high on the "worried about it" list. Doesn't look dangerous, which makes it more dangerous. And you only need to see a 1.5HP motor reduced down to 100 RPMs grab something once before you realize how much power there is in that thing. Stuff goes bad in an instant and you'll have 0 time to react, in fact, you probably won't even know until the damage is already done.

Clamp it securely at all times. And by "securely" I mean "break the belt or bit" if it sticks. On my metal press table, I have a hold down clamp and several C-clamps for metal; for wood, I have a full table with a fence that I put up there and clamp down. Never had an incident, but it's just so darn compelling to just "throw something up there and drill through it" that even I, with a very healthy fear of the drill press, have had to stop myself.

To the original question, I have used spades in my press before. I don't find it any better/worse than any other bit. Clamp the snot of out of it and go at it. Carefully, just like you would (or should) for anything else going through that machine!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I had to drill through old 8” pilings that were wet from being driven into a marsh. Had a screw end. Like you said, got caught and snapped my wrist around real bad!
    I keep waffling on about the merits of a SDS drill with a chuck adaptor...

I also use spade bits in the drill press (with care). I stored a Shop Smith for a friend. Shop Smith advocates seem to like drilling deep holes. I used an extension and spade bit in the Shop Smith a few times. It is very dangerous. It can be done. There are several doos and don'ts that are very important.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-07-2022 at 8:06 AM. Reason: shorten quote

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I keep waffling on about the merits of a SDS drill with a chuck adaptor...
    I have a chuck adapter for my Bosch Bulldog. I use it to hold driver bits for Tapcons in drill mode. It works quite well and saves wear and tear on my cordless drivers.

I don't use it for drilling big holes though, I have a HoleHawg for that, The nice thing about the HoleHawg is you can use a 3/4" pipe as a handle. I frequently use one braced against the ground if I am putting say a 2 9/16" bit through a rim joist.

Same opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Not positive, but I think with drill presses you want to avoid the bits with a screw point that pull the bit into the wood. In that case the bit is advanced by the screw thread and the operator cannot control the feed. A spade bit with a plain point does not feed itself into the wood and advances only when the operator feeds it by the handles.
    I was just to post the same stuff.

I share your opinion.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Ideally use a Forstner, but they can be all kinds of expensive. I feel they can be dangerous in general and may not leave the best finish But I havent used any nice ones. I cant think of a reason that they would be more dangerous in a DP though, If anything(assuming Proper Hold down) they should be safer in the DP than in a drill.

I ran a pointed one without the screw into my finger far enough for the outer lips hit the skin as well. I learned that I shouldnt have done that and never did again.

Don't do it.

If you are really on a budget, get a cheap forstner. There are plenty to be had. However, if you care enough to use a drill press, I'm supposing you care about the accuracy and precision. In this case, the marginal cost of a good forstner would not be a consideration for me. You don't have to buy a whole set if you have a specific project in mind.