Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Anyone here ever use dry ice to keep meat frozen for a couple days while transporting it?

We'll be going to New York later this month and I'll be bringing about 40# of frozen meat to my son. I plan on keeping it frozen with dry ice, any advice?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

We used dry ice once to keep a chest freezer cold during a long summertime power outage before we had a generator. We met someone at a highway exit who was on his way by making a delivery to a bar up north, so that saved us an hour each way to go to the distributor. It worked, but that experience was what inspired us to buy a generator.

Dangerous stuff, please know what you are dealing with ahead of time. Gloves would be #1 and do keep kids out of the cooler. Won't be a good place to try and breathe.

Take care,
    Chris

I used dry ice to keep meat for 3 days while I set up an elk camp, setting the tent, cutting firewood and scouted waiting for my brother and our Mom's husband to arrive to hunt. After about 3 days, I packed the cooler in a snowbank near the camp.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yup. Works great. Omaha Steaks uses it to ship frozen meat too. Use gloves and assure good ventilation.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    The main problem with dry ice is finding a source, Not many places are left where you can buy it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's been several years but we did that with some frozen food. As I recall at that time you could get it at Wal-Mart. I think we sealed the cooler with duct tape or so it seems.

Blog Entries
    Seal up the meat well. Dry ice can carbonate foods with the high CO2 levels in the cooler. Stuff like carbonated grapes taste great. Meat, probably not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The main problem with dry ice is finding a source, Not many places are left where you can buy it.
    Try Welding Supply stores or search for Continental Carbonics. It may be scarce in Peshtigo but there are at least three places in Green Bay.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Gloves for sure. I've had meat products and full meals shipped 2-3 days from distributors on dry ice. It seems to last just long enough to get here. I'd check it periodically on the way, and if it starts disappearing, just replenish it somewhere on the road. Here in KC many larger grocery stores carry it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    It's been several years but we did that with some frozen food. As I recall at that time you could get it at Wal-Mart. I think we sealed the cooler with duct tape or so it seems.
    Only some Walmart stores carry dry ice. They don't have it in the Midwest, but I have purchased dry ice at a Walmart store near Reno, Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Only some Walmart stores carry dry ice. They don't have it in the Midwest, but I have purchased dry ice at a Walmart store near Reno, Nevada.
    I got mine in Macomb Illinois. Looking online it no longer appears that they have it.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 02-07-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Seal up the meat well. Dry ice can carbonate foods with the high CO2 levels in the cooler. Stuff like carbonated grapes taste great. Meat, probably not so much.
    Never heard of that. The meat is double wrapped in freezer paper. I'll put the meat on the bottom of the cooler and then put a cardboard divider in and the dry ice n top of that.

We found a Fresh Thyme store in Green Bay that has the dry ice, it's right on our route so we'll get there when the store opens and pack the cooler. I've checked our route and there are some Fresh Thyme stores along the way.

My biggest concern is when the dry ice sublimates and the car could fill with CO2. I'd love to find a way to hook a hose to the cooler drain and vent it outside the vehicle so we don't pass out and crash and burn. Can't put it in the trunk we drive a Honda CR-V.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Bought some this year at local save mart. It was $4.00 a pound. Fridge went out. I am not convinced it was cheaper then water ice for equal cooling power. Wrap cooler in old blankets etc.
    Bill D

Your driving, if you have a well insulated cooler, I would just use regular ice. You can easily refresh along the way.