Thread: Delta Unisaw Dust Collection Hood

Question Delta Unisaw Dust Collection Hood

I have dust collection running to my Unisaw and probably 75 percent of the dust is collected by it but I still have 25 percent that gets spit out. I was thinking that if I could bring the dust collection closer to the blade it might improve it somewhat. Right now I just have a six inch diameter hose running about eight feet straight from a 2 hp Jet Canister Dust Collector.

Has anyone ever tried to make or buy anything like what is pictured below? If yes then I would love to know where you bought it or how you built it, including pictures.

Dust Hood.jpg

Never,

tried to make one - but have often thought of it. Your drawing reminds me of a heat register boot.

Dave

I have a the 5" Delta dust pick-up hood on my Unisaw which sits 10' from a 2 hp cyclone. I estimate I'm getting 90% of the dust pick-up. The 5" duct meets a 6" branch which goes to a 7" main. You might want to consider an overarm guard. I'm working on designing an overarm guard, I have the duct run, but now I need about 5' of 3" hose for the drop. I'm looking for DC hose. So far it looks like McMaster has the best selection of DC hoses, but which is best for woodworking. Do I want clear or not, PVC or rubber or a blend... hmmm... decisions, decisions.

Chris, a shroud like you show will significantly improve under-the-table collection. (material coming off the top of the blade is not really affected and still needs an overarm collector) The challenge is installing it such that it does not interfere with the internals of the saw and preferebly so it tilts when you tilt the arbor for bevels.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ya, I probably do need an overarm collector. I just don't like things getting in the way of my wood. Excalibur makes a real nice one but the price is not so nice. Any others out there that are affordable?