Thread: Grizzly g7948 - Good Press? I’m also short

Grizzly g7948 - Good Press? I’m also short

Hey all, want to replace my benchtop jet drill press. I missed out a 17” jet while back and now a used 2013 grizzly g7948 popped up for $480. Probably can get it for $350 considering my drive to get it. Video shows no runout.

Is this a good press? I’m also 5’6 and this press is 70” tall soooo I’ll be standing on something for belt changes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    You're not alone in benefiting from a step stool for belt changes. Some machines, once on a mobile base, can be high enough to be awkward. The 7948 is a bit of a beast. With the new price being a bit north of a grand I would certainly go for it. The additional swing can come in handy and the sizable table will lend itself well to a more woodworking-centric add-on. The 180 RPM low low speed would be welcome on my 17" that only goes down to about 250 RPM . The high speed being over 3000 RPM makes spinning small bits trouble free.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-11-2022 at 8:39 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No run out sounds unlikely unless it has a higher end chuck. For $350 it would be a beast and great buy assuming it's square and true, hard to beat that price.

I do own a Grizzly drill press (actually several of them) and one does indeed have less than 0.0005" of TIR (total indicated run out) when using a precision gauge pin in the chuck and measured with dial indicator. This is not the stock Grizzly chuck, but one from one of my milling machines with R8 taper. My other drill presses ( I have 7 or 8 of them) typically have a TIR of around 0.003" or so. These include a vintage Dayton, high end Japanese model, and several Taiwan and Grizzly units.

It is typically the chuck that produces much of the run out. If measuring the actual spindle taper it is often 0.001" or less.

David

You do realize that you could just cut the post down ,right. I am pretty well the same "vertically challenged" or as I prefer to think of it God only made so many of us perfect height ,the rest are to tall....

Quote Originally Posted by mike kees View Post
    you do realize that you could just cut the post down ,right. I am pretty well the same "vertically challenged" or as i prefer to think of it god only made so many of us perfect height ,the rest are to tall....:d
    ^^^ brilliant!