Thread: Oneida Dust Deputy Questions - Need Help

Question Oneida Dust Deputy Questions - Need Help

Preface - Used to have full shop and an Oneida V-3000 hard plumbed into all tools with gates and 6" lines. Sold all my shop tools a couple of years back.

Current Day - I am doing a few projects and only have room for a small, all in one cart approach, with contractor/hybrid table saw, DW735 planer, etc., used on a work bench. I may build one of those work benches that holds them all but regardless I'm in the one tool at a time stage. Don't foresee getting my full shop back any time so I'm only looking at smaller setups that can handle one tool at a time with minimal space.

Last week while visiting a Woodcraft Store, I picked up the following:
    Rikon 60-105 wall mountable 1 hp dust collector with 2 micron bag - https://www.woodcraft.com/products/r...ith-wall-mount
    Oneida 17 gallon steel drum - https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...er-dust-deputy
    Oneida 4" DIY Dust Deputy - https://www.oneida-air.com/super-dus...lone-separator

Once I got home (store is 3 to 4 hours away), I realized that the barrel opening and dust deputy mount are different sizes. Looking at it now, I have a few options but don't know what is best:
    1.) Order the appropriate 35 gallon barrel - Nice but shipping is $75 - https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...ust-deputy-diy
    2.) Order a different dust deputy that would fit 17 gallon barrel and my 4" hose - https://www.woodcraft.com/products/m...702d3c42000be9
    3.) Scratch all of it and order something like a mini-gorilla or equivalent (cost more than I'll have invested here in total and takes up more floor space, but not sure if it would perform better)

Regardless of direction, I can eventually return or exchange my incorrect part(s) with Woodcraft when I can get back over there again, so that's not really a factor in the decision. That said, what makes most sense for best approach to use with a setup that you are planning to connect one tool at a time and use max of 4" hose. Thanks for any insight to things I might not be thinking about.

DUst Collector.jpgYou could do this instead. Not sure what the items you purchased add up to, but if you are close on price, I would go with the mini-gorilla out of convenience. That said, this set up works great for me.
    johnbarfielddesign.com

Thank you. That's the general idea of what I was going to do with the 3 pieces I purchased and I was going to wall mount them all to keep them out of the way when not being used. It's just the fact that the flange on the cyclone didn't match the barrel so it got me looking at options. As I see it, I can change out the 4" cyclone for a 5" or 6" and use reducers as they fit the 17 gallon barrel (which is weird they do and the 4" doesn't), or I could swap out the 17 gallon for the 35 gallon (which was my initial thought). But all of it got me looking at the mini-gorilla (which would cost a fair amount more) as an all in one solution, but it doesn't look like it could be wall mounted really. However, it would keep floor space to a minimum.

How hard was it to seal up that trash can? And is it strong enough not to flex or pop? I remember the 35gal drum on my prior v-3000 would pop and flex under the vacuum sometimes and it was pretty stout construction.

you don't have enough fan for a 5 or 6" cyclone

Is it possible for you to make an adapter out of ply? I've done that before and it worked fine. Cut the hole in the ply to what you need, drill holes in the lid to match DD, add silicone or weatherstripping. That should give you a tifht seal.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Is it possible for you to make an adapter out of ply? I've done that before and it worked fine. Cut the hole in the ply to what you need, drill holes in the lid to match DD, add silicone or weatherstripping. That should give you a tifht seal.
    Steve, good idea. I thought about that. actually looked at just cutting the steel barrel lid to fit properly, but unfortunately this barrel has a clear plexi sight window in the lid and it falls right in line with where the cut would have to be. I just don't see a way to truly cut this one to fit properly. I'll have to either change the barrel or the cyclone.

The best bet may just be to order the 35 gallon drum that fits this particular 4" model, and return the 17 gallon barrel on my next trip to woodcraft. Not sure if the rikon 1hp running through this would work as well as the mini-gorilla, but that's the real question I guess. Would the mini-gorilla have drastically higher CFM on 4" hose, or would it really come down to it simply being an all in one alternative with made in US motor, but not any better than the rikon and dust deputy setup in use.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-14-2022 at 12:42 PM.

After lots of reading last night and yesterday, I made the decision to order the Oneida Mini Gorilla at Woodcraft and exchange the 3 pieces I purchased when it comes in. Won't be on the wall, but it sure looks compact and should prove a good solution for my one tool at a time approach, and it offers a hepa filter. Thanks for the input above.

Got the Mini Gorilla this week and assembled it today. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this unit while researching it and have to say that I don't agree with most of them. I think it's an awesome mini-me version of the V-3000 I used to have and if chosen for the appropriate sized shop and usage, it looks to be outstanding. The assembly went very smoothly for me provided I followed the instructions and suggestions in the manual. Some of the complaints I've read were about the assembly process and I can only assume they missed a step on the manual, because once I double checked what it said, it assembled so easily. The seals on the unit I received seem to be the same quality material or better than what my v-3000 used, so maybe this was upgraded from the ones I had read complaint reviews on. Lastly, it seems to have a really nice level of suction. Not going to plumb a full shop with it, but for one or maybe two tools it seems more than adequate. Right now the motor is wired for 110, but I may switch to 220 since I have the outlets already in place. Anyway, so far I'd give this unit a thumbs up for my new mini-shop.

0E54C93B-45C6-499E-B4A2-58772480C817.jpg

D6AD3CD1-3219-469D-A156-73D16500F0CA.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-26-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Im Curious how you like the Mini Gorilla and if it’s powerful enough? I’ve thought about getting one but IMHO for minimal cost they made the bin too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Got the Mini Gorilla this week and assembled it today. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this unit while researching it and have to say that I don't agree with most of them. I think it's an awesome mini-me version of the V-3000 I used to have and if chosen for the appropriate sized shop and usage, it looks to be outstanding. The assembly went very smoothly for me provided I followed the instructions and suggestions in the manual. Some of the complaints I've read were about the assembly process and I can only assume they missed a step on the manual, because once I double checked what it said, it assembled so easily. The seals on the unit I received seem to be the same quality material or better than what my v-3000 used, so maybe this was upgraded from the ones I had read complaint reviews on. Lastly, it seems to have a really nice level of suction. Not going to plumb a full shop with it, but for one or maybe two tools it seems more than adequate. Right now the motor is wired for 110, but I may switch to 220 since I have the outlets already in place. Anyway, so far I'd give this unit a thumbs up for my new mini-shop.

0E54C93B-45C6-499E-B4A2-58772480C817.jpg

D6AD3CD1-3219-469D-A156-73D16500F0CA.jpg
    One of the design considerations for a portable dust collector is stability. A shorter barrel keeps the center of gravity lower. To make it taller with the same stability would require a wider base, which limits mobility in a small shop. There are so many trade offs in machine design.