Thread: The orthodontist scanned my teeth and 3D printed a model

Blog Entries

The orthodontist scanned my teeth and 3D printed a model

I needed a new upper retainer. Ten years ago when I got the last one they took an impression and made a plaster model then thermoformed the clear plastic retainer. This time the used a handheld scanner to digitize my teeth. They 3D printed the model and did the thermoforming.

In the old days you got one shot. Removing the plaster from the impression generally destroyed the impression. And removing the retainer generally cracked the model. Now they can make as many retainers as they want from the model. They gave me the model to store for next time.

I think I paid several hundred dollars for the last retainer. This one was $150. Now that I have the model, the next one is $65.

I don’t know much about 3D printing. They used the type with the liquid resin. The model looks like a topographical map.

That's a good example of where "maker" type technology is finding valid and useful mainstream purpose. I do remember those plaster molds that were just part of the process when I had an orthodontist as a kid. "Minty fresh" taste. LOL Scanning and printing seems more, um....sanitary...too. At least potentially so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a good example of where "maker" type technology is finding valid and useful mainstream purpose. I do remember those plaster molds that were just part of the process when I had an orthodontist as a kid. "Minty fresh" taste. LOL Scanning and printing seems more, um....sanitary...too. At least potentially so.
    I’m going to guess that a scanner wand that can go into your mouth was the key. Resin 3D printing has been around for a long time. There was a manufacturer back in KC that was printing prototypes when I was just out of college. But I bet that printer was very expensive.

But you are on point about the maker community’s influence. I have no doubt that the makers drove prices down while keeping accuracy.

I belong to NoVA Labs, a maker space here in northern Virginia. They have a working group just for people wanting to build their first 3D printer. They also have a fleet of printers on which members run parts.

I understand they can use the same scanning process and then CNC a small milling machine in the back room to cut a crown out of metal.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Hmphh. I used to help my dad cast the gold crowns. What’s the world coming to?

Four or five years ago the 3D scanning took much longer than just taking a mold of the teeth. It seemed like they did a scan, moved the wand 1/4”, did another scan, and so on until the whole mouth was done. It felt like it took forever because they had to do top and bottom separately.

Interesting, since I'm in desperate need of dentures--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Crazy but billiant!

There are some areas where technology has improved both comfort, quality and price.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Four or five years ago the 3D scanning took much longer than just taking a mold of the teeth. It seemed like they did a scan, moved the wand 1/4”, did another scan, and so on until the whole mouth was done. It felt like it took forever because they had to do top and bottom separately.
    I've had a number of ceramic crowns and my dentist has a system where they scan your teeth, generate a 3d model, tweak the crown model using some simple cad tools and then cut the crown on a piece of un-fired ceramic. Scanning is the fastest part of the process. Once the model is complete is takes maybe 20 min to mill the crown and then they do a practice fitting and manually make any adjustments for fit. Then they bake it and glue it in place. It allows the whole process to be done in one sitting which I like. Great technology.

Not dental, but have you ever seen guys measure for granite counter tops? Put some kind of little dots at ends, intersections, front and backs. Shoot it with a camera, then back at the shop load it into cutter. Slabs fit perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Not dental, but have you ever seen guys measure for granite counter tops? Put some kind of little dots at ends, intersections, front and backs. Shoot it with a camera, then back at the shop load it into cutter. Slabs fit perfectly
    They did this for my quartz countertop, but they still managed to deliver a countertop that was cut incorrectly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Interesting, since I'm in desperate need of dentures--
    My dad was a dentist. His favorite work was making dentures and he made a lot of them. He was very proud of the fit he was able to achieve by controlling the whole process. He claimed that if his were the patients first set, not one of his patients needed any sort of adhesive. He explained that you have to understand the soft tissues. Most dentures compress those tissues and they atrophy. He left room for the tissues and they formed a vacuum seal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Did they stick on some rulers for reference?