Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bad job coming

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's heavy wind forecast today/tonight as that cold front moves west to east with a significant temperature difference...batten the hatches!
    Just passed through us. Tornado warnings and watches, impressive wind and rain. Very short lived, and obviously no snow for us here, but it is a very powerful storm. More noticeable than the usual.

And the doors look great. Really beautiful.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Nice Job!..I enjoyed the tutorial

Just an update to this thread a little over 2 years since I refinished those garage doors, since airless has come up several times lately.

The doors still look like they did the day I finished them. There is absolutely no deterioration any kind of way. I added some weatherstripping to them, including a big thing on the bottom that keeps them up over an inch off the pavement. We had one renter that locked the doors and then tried to open one with the opener, which pulled the top rail loose, but it wasn't too much trouble to fix. That gasket thing on the bottom prevents anyone from locking it, so that should eliminate that problem.

I couldn't be more pleased that it looks like the next job on these is years off. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread and offered any advice.

And I'll link the thread I did about the same time on cleaning an airless rig, and I hope how to not need to waste much finish when cleaning the rig. If forget if I covered everything in it or not:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....eaning+airless
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-02-2024 at 4:41 PM.

Note that the 1/4 x 25 foot hose takes 18 oz. to prime the rig, which also means if you measure running 18 oz. of water through it when you get finished you can run all that's left in the rig back into the container. There is such misunderstanding about how much finish you lose with an airless rig.

They do make a 3/16 x 25 foot hose now, but I haven't seen the need to buy one since I measured what this one takes. I'm sure it would take a lot less finish to operate the rig, but it's easy to measure since the Pump Armor has a strong blue color. Some aftermarket companies even make 3/16 x 9'.

This pump is about 30 years old now. You can find good used pumps on CL and Marketplace. I did rebuild the pump once with a Graco kit, and it was a pretty easy job. Buy the best gun currently made, and you will have a fine setup.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-05-2024 at 8:24 AM.

General finishes Enduro recommends

Airless: 0.009”- 0.011” tip.

Those are the second two numbers on any tip number stamped on it. The first number is half the fan width at a foot. For instance the 310 I was using produces a 6" fan width and the orifice size is .010". Pressure variation allows you to give fine control to the amount of finish for a given tip size.

In that setting video I made, the 308 wasn't moving enough finish to suit me, so I moved up to the 310 and started playing with the pressure. I wear a glove on one hand so I can drag a finger through the finish on the test board to see how thick it is when it starts to look too thick. If it starts to sag from being plowed with a finger, it's too thick to not worry about getting a sag if you stumble or bump an elbow on something. This works better to me than fooling with a thickness gauge.

The varying of pressure is where the gauge is so valuable in saving time and finish lost. You can go right back to what you know works for a given finish, first time every time with no need for a test board. I'm using a Titan gauge on this old Graco pump. It comes with quick disconnects that go right between the pump and any hose I want to use.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-05-2024 at 2:25 PM.