Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used Tool Prices

Used hobby grade pricing is the Wild West right now and has only been getting worse for the last several months. I’m glad I’m not actively in the market for tools to put together a whole shop and already have most of what I need.

Along these lines I saw this ad a while back on FB marketplace and had to screen shot it. Sent it to my brother who has mentioned casual interest in finding a cheaper dozer for his property. We got a few laughs, and I felt like this was a pretty good indicator of the situation we’re in with used equipment pricing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

Here's some irony: Practically every shop I go into has some piece or pieces of equipment that, if I had cash in had, could easily drive off with. One owner offered me a Centauro 900mm bandsaw. "Please, just take it away". I had no interest but you get the point. There are still plenty of used industrial machines to be had but you will never find these on FB marketplace or whatever. For example, I can think of an Altendorf F-45 Elmo that could probably be had for a good deal but I suspect the owner probably thinks the internet lets the illuminati track you or something, so you would never see it for sale online. You actually need to walk into these shops and have face-to-face conversations with the owner. Just like that TV show where the guys drive around rural towns, looking for vintage cars. There's a used machine dealer I know who does exactly this: Plans scouting trips to various areas. He's quite successful but it's very boots-on-the-ground.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    2. 6' jointer for only $200
    Attachment 474403

3. 8" jointer - old & big iron, but not for $1500
    Attachment 474404
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge. 6" jointers are ~$1300 from Grizzly, with shipping, and that one appears to have just some surface rust. $200 sounds about right for around here, though I'd want to thoroughly inspect it. Same with the 8" jointer, you can get something similar from Grizzly, for ~$1800 shipped, but that's when they come back in stock. Having ordered from them in the past, when things weren't all messed up that can take months, and ALL of the 8" jointers appear to be on back order. The 6" seem to have only one model of three available.

Finally that old Delta might still be a better machine that what's available from Grizzly. (Oh, and I _never_ see 8" jointers show up on the local craigslist or FB)

Spoke too soon. Anyone near Milwaukee? 3/4 HP Multi-head Powermatic Drill press for $150. I wish I needed one!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1844364663035/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge. 6" jointers are ~$1300 from Grizzly, with shipping, and that one appears to have just some surface rust. $200 sounds about right for around here, though I'd want to thoroughly inspect it. Same with the 8" jointer, you can get something similar from Grizzly, for ~$1800 shipped, but that's when they come back in stock. Having ordered from them in the past, when things weren't all messed up that can take months, and ALL of the 8" jointers appear to be on back order. The 6" seem to have only one model of three available.

Finally that old Delta might still be a better machine that what's available from Grizzly. (Oh, and I _never_ see 8" jointers show up on the local craigslist or FB)
    If that Delta Crescent jointer is as complete and original as it looks I'd give $1200 for it in a heartbeat. The cast iron base alone weighs as much as most new 6" jointers.

And there are plenty of DMMs for sale in the usual places.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Spoke too soon. Anyone near Milwaukee? 3/4 HP Multi-head Powermatic Drill press for $150. I wish I needed one!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1844364663035/

At $150 for a Powermatic reeves drive variable speed drill press with the multi head attachment with it "need" has nothing to do with it! Buy it and sell the multihead adapter on ebay for $200. I would have been on that drill press before you had a chance to finish your post! ...wait, that is how I ended up with my Delta reeves drive variable speed 19" drill press for $200. I just swapped the old 13" Harbor Freight drill press to one of my daughters teenage friends for a day helping me clean the shop and kept the Delta.