Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Pain

Apple Pain

I have an iPhone and pretty much like it except for the apple prompts to by their stuff. I have alerts to finish setting up my apple pay and now apply TV all the time. Is there a simple way to tell them no thank you?

Are android phones any different?

I have an iPhone also and get almost none of that garbage. I turned off all Notifications except the ones I actually need/want. I think that is why I get less crap than I used to. Actually, I've turned off all of the features except the ones I actually use. On my laptop I use ad blockers. Again I seem to get less advertising and spam than most of my friends. Good luck. -Howard

I have an Android phone and never get notices to buy anything from Android.

Howard, these are on my settings. Right now it indicates I have three updates on my settings under more for your iphone. One is to sign up for free Apple TV, the second is to finish setting up my iphone with apple pay and the third one is a settings update which I have no problem with. I have almost all notices turned off but I don't see one for apple stuff. There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of it or say NO.

I have an iPhone and never get those kind of notifications. And I haven't done anything special with my phone. It's pretty much the default set-up.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Fitbit watch that about 2 days a week, all day, every time I move my wrist to see what time it is,
    instead of the time and my vitals I get

YOU HAVE NO
    CARDS SET UP
    IN YOUR WALLET

There's a good reason for that Fitbit, I'm NOT GOING TO BUY anything from you

I still haven't figured out how to turn THAT nag off...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It looks like apple product users are both pay for the product and are still the product.

It seems to me that they remind you 2-4 times and then go silent until the software updates to a new version, then they do it again. Irritating, but not persistent. (the prompts are there if you go looking for them, but they don't pop up.) If you are getting them continuously I'd take it in to an Apple store and get them to fix it.

I have been using iPhone since V3 (currently on a 13 Pro Max) and don't get any overt marketing notifications. I do use ApplePay...it's very convenient and touchless without having to take my wallet out of my pocket.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    It looks like apple product users are both pay for the product and are still the product.
    Android isn't any different. Plenty of data goes from an Android phone to Google and others.

If you have a newer iPhone that you've recently gotten, it keeps on asking you to subscribe to Apple TV. Once the "free" evaluation period is over, it thankfully stops.
    Same with the Apple Pay.
    Because they changed around the Podcast settings so much, I'm even reluctant to upgrade the operating software, but I guess for my own safety .....
    I'm still using and iPhone 7+ because it still works and I'd rather put money into something else.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I still get bugged when my iPad does an update/upgrade, "finish setting up your iPad"and I've had it for 2+ years. But just once usually, then it's quiet until the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    If you have a newer iPhone that you've recently gotten, it keeps on asking you to subscribe to Apple TV. Once the "free" evaluation period is over, it thankfully stops.
    Same with the Apple Pay.
    Because they changed around the Podcast settings so much, I'm even reluctant to upgrade the operating software, but I guess for my own safety .....
    I'm still using and iPhone 7+ because it still works and I'd rather put money into something else.
    I have an iPhone 13 Pro (the latest version of the iPhone) and have never received anything asking me to subscribe to Apple TV. I don't get any other notices (that I can remember), either.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Like others, no such notices here. What is the source of the items? Are these showing up as notifications or are we talking about ads popping up in browsers and apps? Either way it sounds like some suggestions or annoying defaults are at play. Something has gotten turned on, permitted or unknowingly requested is my guess. I would run through something like the steps shown in these videos for a start (yes some of the items you may want or not want).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxdoC2sG1i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8DpQIA35I

If the undesired behavior trigger proves too elusive you can factory-stupid your phone and start over.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They show up as alerts on the settings icon along with update notices. I had the number three beside the settings icon, upon opening the settings icon it had a list of three things to attend to, Set up apple pay, set up apple TV, and an phone update. I too have an iphone 7 plus and am doing fine with it. I tend to buy things and keep them and not trade frequently. The opposite of technologies business strategy it seems.