Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoulder plane question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Assaf, thanks for posting the Lee Valley instructions for setting the blade on the Cabinet Makers Rabbet Plane. (aka Shoulder Plane) The method sounds very familiar…

My thoughts on why the blade is a touch wider come down to two reasons. First, it is easier to make it slightly wider than dealing with the tolerance problems of matching each plane body, especially with a replacement blade. Second, this leave a little bit of metal for those who want to touch up the side bevels on the blade.

jtk
    L-N shoulder plane instructions match. I lost my neaderginity to a L-N medium in all its out-of-the-box glory; arriving at piston fit M&T nirvana in what I was fairly certain was an illegal act.

And tho' perhaps not traditional use, I'd offer a third, that the wider blade allows working L>R, R>L to deepen a dado.

As for the new-old debate, if you don't agree with me then you are EVIL! I'm sensing a trend .... and we can add shoulder planes to the banned list.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Another viable option, if the LN and LV models are out of stock, are the Woodriver series shoulder planes. I have the medium size shoulder plane and it works great. But I do prefer my LN shoulder planes... makes me feel better than Steven when I use it.

I buy the LV/LN planes because they are usually only 10%-20% more than the Chinese versions (Woodriver, Luban, etc.), the fit and finish is much better, and they are made domestically (Canada is basically the US right?). Plus their resale value is high if I want to sell them and I know they will work out of the box. I wont have to spend time flattening the sole and blade and troubleshooting issues.

I am happy to sell my WR medium shoulder plane to the OP for a few bucks. PM me if you'd like it. I think I paid $150 shipped in Jan '21.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...shoulder-plane

Thanks for the offer ! I'll send you PM soon as here back on refund status, should be no later that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Idk, a mix of old and new tools still has my vote and certainly helps to build a beautiful tool cabinet, even helped install properly mortises butt hinges.
    Attachment 474462Attachment 474463

That is one nice looking cabinet ! And has me motivated to build one, although it won't hold a candle to yours it's great way to organize the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Makes you wonder WHAT these guys would say about all of this..
    Attachment 474437

I think that guy - 2nd from left - was just arrested for 3rd degree Felonious Coveting on Bridge City's website.

Who said you had to have LN or LV tools to be a real woodworker? I didn’t read that anywhere.

Your argument seems to be of the straw man variety Steven. It’s cool you like to rust hunt. I don’t have time for that. Woodworking is a hobby for me and when I get time for it, I just want my tools to work. So I buy the best tools I can afford.

I’m not sure why you like to glorify the past, but I have no desire to be like those gentleman in your picture. Days filled with hard labor, poor living standards, and low life expectancy are not something to aspire to in my book.

I can remember exactly how old my LN shoulder plane is but I do remember that the info said the iron was wider than the body. It gives you a chance to touch up the edge over the years of use. As I remember from school all rabbet type planes need the edge touched up, not extremely sharp but sharp. The edge also needs a slight back bevel so the tip of the iron will not be held off and not cut a clean corner.
    Jim

Didn't Preston and Record also make some decent shoulder planes?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I am fortunate enough to possess a UK-made Record 073 shoulder plane. Large and heavy -- 4 lbs. -- with a blade that is easy to sharpen and holds its edge well. Do not utilize it a great deal, but it always works and I have never regretted its purchase back in the early 1980's.

Also have a small Clifton UK-made 410 shoulder plane -- 5/8" blade. Small and it demands that the blade be surgically sharp to work as the mouth is non-adjustable. It has come in handy at times. Seems to me I purchase it and the Record 073 at the same time as it is such a diminutive plane, I bought it on a whim.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 02-24-2022 at 1:22 PM. Reason: added information about plane sizes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Didn't Preston and Record also make some decent shoulder planes?
    Not something that shows up that often at your usual estate sale.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)