Thread: Rockler Pro-Lift issues-plate concave in center

Rockler Pro-Lift issues-plate concave in center

Bought Rockler Combo package with cast iron table, dust collection, lift, fence, etc. Got the table up (weighs 44 kg), installed the dust collection box, and the next step was to level the router plate and lift in the opening with the 8 hex screws (turned from the bottom, which is insane I admit). Well 3 hours later and with a super sore arm from lifting that heavy plate and lift out each time to try and adjust so my square does not catch across the table top I finally got it so it does not catch from the left or right in either direction. But, then I notice the plate is below the surface of the table at the top and bottom - yes, it is actually looked concave. My square also caught from on top and bottom of the plate moving it up and down. I took the plate and lift out and put it upside down of the flattest surface I know-my Sawstop and was able to get a feeler gage - .007 under the center of the plate (both sides) but not at the right or left sides. So, that confirmed my visual - it is concave in the center.

Now the question(s) - does it:

a. Matter? (Concerned the bits will be lower than they should be with the wood going across the bit.)

b. Is a return worth contemplating? (If one plate is concave I bet all of them are - my experience with metals is that a 3/8”+ thick aluminum plate is concave because of the casting or rolling process.)

c. Is there a possible fix?

I would have considered something else (Kreg, Jess-em, etc.), but the table top, stand, and what I thought was its general OKness made me go to Rockler. Big pain also is the adjustment screws turn from underneath the opening in the table and are locked into place with a nut and a lock washer which, when tightened, makes perfect adjustment an issue. However, it is pretty and the rings snap in and out and that is nice.915C417F-0D16-4689-BECC-495246799DF6.jpg

The first step here is to contact Rockler about what is clearly a quality issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim-

Before I posted I called them. Was talking with a guy on the phone and he put me on hold to consult with someone and they dropped the call - twice. Disappointing.

My fear is that anything they replace it with will have the same defect because it seems like a process defect. I guess I am kind of fussy about accuracy, but I have learned if you start out accurate (properly calibrated, etc.) things are mucho easier as we go along, which I bet all of you would agree with. (Why many of us use Starrett rulers, combo squares, and dial calipers for example.)

I also have to confess to a certain lack of patience lately - customer service in all areas has been a trial for me and many others. Sigh.

Bummer on the dropped calls...not a good thing for customer service at anytime. (something we focused a lot on with my employer prior to my retirement)

I think it's reasonable to be concerned that a replacement might have the same issue. OTOH, it's likely to be the first effort to solve the problem. Hopefully, they will work with you to get this resolved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why don’t you take it back to the store? On Sat., it will get their immediate attention and they won’t be able to hang up on you.

Blog Entries
    The Rockler stores I have dealt with have been incredibly good about issues with their products. I bought their portable drill guide and it would bind in spots. It was semi-usable but definitely not desirable. I also thought that if I returned it I may end up with the same thing again due to the design and required tolerances.
    I don't live near them and was concerned about being able to return it by the time I got back down to Atlanta. I called them and they assured me it would be no issue and immediately put one on hold for me. Once I did get back down there they had the one they promised with my name on it in the back. The store employee brought it up and opened it to check it out. It worked incredibly smoothly and so much better than the previous one.
    My other returns have been easy and pleasant.

You could be right in the end but it is certainly worth returning it to see.

I had the same issue with my rockler router lift and fence. I took it back and they swapped it for incra.

Blog Entries
    First off, sorry you are having the issue. Hope it is just a defect. I agree that the first step is to allow them to make it right. I would not settle for what you have at the price point where these are sold; it should be what you want. I also have had nothing but good service at my local Rockler since the first manager who opened the store went elsewhere ;-) There have been 3 managers since then and all have been great.

So, to the question(s) - does it:

a. Matter? (Concerned the bits will be lower than they should be with the wood going across the bit.)
    -- Yes. Path deviation at the bit will never yield reliable results.

b. Is a return worth contemplating? (If one plate is concave I bet all of them are - my experience with metals is that a 3/8”+ thick aluminum plate is concave because of the casting or rolling process.)
    -- Yes. If the replacement is also bad change brands.

c. Is there a possible fix?
    -- No. IMHO at the cost of these things they should be spot on within the scope of the task they are designed for.

I have a couple of Woodpeckers. One has been in use for over 10 years (well maintained) and I can still trust the depth scale for the smallest of adjustments.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-22-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I really appreciate the feedback. Kind of confirms what I thought. I will see if Rockler can exchange their Pro Lift lift for the Incra Mast-R-Lift-II, which has a super solid reputation. Now, I wish there was a Rockler store closer than Pittsburgh (I live near Harrisonburg VA - about 280 miles away) but they have an affiliate store that stocks their stuff in Winchester and will see if there is anything I can do there, other than shipping it back to them.

The Rockler lifts and table have a different plate/opening size different than the Jessem table and lifts. I think there is a version of the Incra lift that will work in the Rockler table.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Jarchow View Post
    The Rockler lifts and table have a different plate/opening size different than the Jessem table and lifts. I think there is a version of the Incra lift that will work in the Rockler table.
    The Incra that Rockler sells is sized for their "special" opening. Jessem who makes the Incra also sells one that size now.

I am happy to report the issue seems to have been solved. Sent the defective Pro-lift back to Rockler and they sent me the Incra Lift (will see if the proper credit happens). Simpler than the pro-lift, but the way they have to attach the router motor is superior IMHO-no rings, etc., just moving the grip positions with the bolt. Also like the inserts that are magnetic and pull off easy enough and seem to be stuck with the magnets to begin with. Leveling the plate was not easy, but at least it was possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Glad you got taken care of (so far).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler