Thread: Presidents' Day is Never on Either of Washington's Birthdays

Blog Entries

Presidents' Day is Never on Either of Washington's Birthdays

What you may ask, "either of Washington's birthdays?"

Due to a quirk of human calendars Washington changed his birthday to February 22nd to make up for the 11 days skipped in 1752 when the Gregorian calendar was adopted by Britain and her colonies. He was born on February 11th by the Julian calendar.

That is why, depending on which calendar you are using, Washington was born on both Feb. 11, 1731, and Feb. 22, 1732. They were the same day.
    The missing days were September 3rd through September 13th.

Presidents' day falls on the third Monday of February (Uniform Monday Holiday act of 1971) which means the day falls between the 15th and 21st of February. Neither of Washington's birthdays falls between this period.

Another oddity of the calendar change:

Yes, there were exactly 365 days between Feb. 11, 1750, and Feb. 22, 1752.
    From an article at > https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...residents-day/

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-21-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the story! Have never heard that before. I didn't read all the article. The ads were driving me nuts. Did the article explain why he changed his birthday to the next year instead of just 11 days ahead?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have read some landlords tried to collect for those extra 11 days of rent. Russian and Greek church still use old calendar for Christmas. I do not think it effects easter.
    I think the September revolution in Russia was in October.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Thanks for the story! Have never heard that before. I didn't read all the article. The ads were driving me nuts. Did the article explain why he changed his birthday to the next year instead of just 11 days ahead?
    Yes, New Years used to be in March at the beginning of spring. One quote in the my original post explains it this way, "there were exactly 365 days between Feb. 11, 1750, and Feb. 22, 1752."

The change of calendars and the change of the beginning of the new years adjusted the dates of reality, just a bit and only once.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I do not think it effects easter.
    Easter is on the first Sunday after the full Moon occurring on or after the spring equinox. That is why it moves around from year to year.

jtk

Thanks for the information. Unrelated to Washington, I know of a woman who didn't change her birthday or birth date, but did happen to change her birth "year." Seems she had a problem remembering her real age.

I will never be famous. I was not born on a Monday.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    I was born in the morning… But not yesterday morning!

jtk