Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which woodworking track do you appreciate most?

Blog Entries
    KC Strings in he Kansas City area is a successful collaboration of. Classically trained luthier and a cabinet maker. The cabinet maker learned about the process of making a fine violin and realized that he could help. The luthier chooses the wood and the cabinet makers join the plate halves and CNC it almost to completion. The luthier takes over with his little finger planes and completes the shaping. The CNC basically relieves a highly skilled luthier of the drudgery.

"If you would like to introduce your child to woodworking, after an interest is shown of course, would you prefer to just buy the DiResta kit or some basic handtools and raw materials?"

I have done it both ways and I think kits have their place. Example. A guy at work was a cub scout leader. The kids are supposed to make a toolbox roughly similar to the one you posted, to stimulate interest in making things. He asked if they could come to my shop and make them. To keep them safe, I settled on a kit-based approach. So I bought clear pine and made kits similar to DiResta's. The kids and their Dads pretty much just screwed them together. But the sense of accomplishment was vivid. Later, some of those kids liked it enough that they helped build a deck. Another helped Dad build a doghouse. Now they are in high school and at least two have stopped by to show me a project they built in FFA.

I dont think there's a right way or a wrong way to start people in woodworking. The only thing that matters is that they stay safe and that they have fun.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

A couple of things occur to me, some of which might be offensive, if so I appologize.

First, I don't like CNC, but I don't know if I would necessarily draw the line to woodworking/not woodworking. Maybe it makes more sense to classify it as a type of working with wood, like like machines vs hand tools, or turning vs furniture making, or the like. It's clear that it's creating something out of wood.

Second, I like Jimmy Diresta, and I watch all of his videos. I have learned a lot from him, but I also think that he teaches a lot of potentially bad or harmful habits. He is clearly focused on one thing, and one thing only, and that's producing things at speed. As such I think that if there's a slower way to do things that will result in a better product he's unlikely to take it, or teach it. To each his own, but I think people need to keep this in mind while watching him. He's clearly building things to sell them.

Third, I think the kits he sells are good for beginners and if they get people started, I'm fine with them. FWIW, I've purchased some similar kits from Lowes and assembled them with my 3 and 5 year old. I think this level of having everything pre-cut, just needing some basic assembly is good for that level. I think maybe some people who dismiss these kits are forgetting all of the long, painful lessons they've learned along the way, and maybe don't appreciate the vast learning curve, and the need for some easy "wins" to build confidence. It doesn't help that we seem to surround outselves with a echo chamber of other highly skilled craftsmen and don't see what people just starting out are dealing with.

Fourth, I can't help noticing at number of things very recently that Jimmy has been doing to make money. I hope things are going well for him, until this point he did not seem to struggle to make money as much as he seems to be doing now.

While I think CNC is amazing, I also have little interest in using it. I'm a programmer by trade, so the idea of turning my woodworking into another program sounds too much like work to me.

I see it as the difference between learning to shoot a free throw effectively vs building a robot to throw them 100% of the time. Both are interesting challenges. I'd rather build the robot, because I'd have more chance of success and, for me, shooting free throws is like watching paint dry. I'm sue figuring the 1/32nd you need to take off to get the dado to fit, to others, sounds like watching paint dry. Just type it in and let the computer cut it!

I enjoy the process though, enjoy having some skills with my hands (other than my ability to type really fast). I don't look down on CNC woodworkers at all, in fact, I'm really curious and interested in it, but I really don't want to turn my hobby into something that starts to look very similar to my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    "If you would like to introduce your child to woodworking, after an interest is shown of course, would you prefer to just buy the DiResta kit or some basic handtools and raw materials?"

I have done it both ways and I think kits have their place. Example. A guy at work was a cub scout leader. The kids are supposed to make a toolbox roughly similar to the one you posted, to stimulate interest in making things. He asked if they could come to my shop and make them. To keep them safe, I settled on a kit-based approach. So I bought clear pine and made kits similar to DiResta's. The kids and their Dads pretty much just screwed them together. But the sense of accomplishment was vivid. Later, some of those kids liked it enough that they helped build a deck. Another helped Dad build a doghouse. Now they are in high school and at least two have stopped by to show me a project they built in FFA.

I dont think there's a right way or a wrong way to start people in woodworking. The only thing that matters is that they stay safe and that they have fun.
    I think that is a great use for kits like this. If you want to give a group of kids an introduction to putting things together themselves, this sets them up to have a successful introduction and end up with something they can use. Then any of them that like it can start learning more with their next project. And if the parent in charge of the event is busy, I would completely understand wanting to just buy the kits instead of prepping everything ahead of time.

I watched Norm and the New Yankee Workshop on TV many times. He inspired me to build some things.

My brother uses all hand tools and swears off any form of power tool.

There is an entire maker community that uses CAD and other fabrication methods to do some amazing stuff (sheet metal forms, injection molding proto, castings, etc etc I cant even think of all the things).

A friend of mine grew barley because he wanted to make beer. I buy mine.

It is whatever inspiration hits you is my view. Personally I tend to do a little of everything. Sometimes I cut dovetails by hand. Sometimes I use a machine with guide. I never flatten boards with a hand plane.

Blog Entries
    If seeing his video inspires anyone to buy the kit and learn intricacies of assembly, gluing and finishing then that is a start. It's wood and he/she is working with it. Maybe that person is a hobby machinist and wants to start dabbling in wood? Not a bad thing.
    NOW you tell me...

I agree the CNC doesnt take away from a project. It does however make it less interesting to watch in a youtube video. Most dont show the programming or setup, just push a button(in the Video). I watch to learn.

I would add that it seems to be, to me anyway, a generational thing.
    When I was a boy, I played with erector sets, tinker toys blocks and then Legos. All of these toys have immeasurable educational benefits beyond a kit that can only be assembled in a predetermined fashion. We built what we wanted to and learned what did and didn't work as we built things over and over. As I said earlier, kits also have benefits but it's not the same skill set.
    Even now toys like some lego kits have devolved, the parts in the box builds only whats on the cover. The first lego box I got said this on the cover
    "Without the restriction of instructions, your child will learn to imagine and create for hours at a time"

To me, kits are great for learning motor skills and assembly procedures and many other base building principles. Construction toys, like the ones I mentioned above, let you use your imagination while learning these same basic principles.
    Both have their place though they are not the same. Everyone has their own preference.
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    If seeing his video inspires anyone to buy the kit and learn intricacies of assembly, gluing and finishing then that is a start. It's wood and he/she is working with it. Maybe that person is a hobby machinist and wants to start dabbling in wood? Not a bad thing.
    I agree. The very simple Walmart kit https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jimmy-s-W...-DIY/939296600 is especially a good kit idea for a young person. Still stuff to learn on gluing, sanding, and finishing - all within the attention span of a 8-12 year old, i.e. a couple hours a day for a couple days.

The plywood frame for the video's machinist box cut on the CNC was pretty awesome. It's a very strong structure. Using what appeared to be CA for the finger joints was also interesting. Using putty to place the inset drawer fronts,... Always educational to watch videos like this and see how someone else tackles assembly.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    For my daughters wedding, I made wedding favors. I made 85 two person Chinese checker boards, each with 49 little pits. That’s 4,165 little pits. I don’t think I would have undertaken the project without access to the CNC router at the KC Woodworkers Guild shop. A guy there showed taught me enough to get through my project. Each board took just over two minutes.

I watched only one of those videos all the way through and it wasn't Jimmy's.

A few of the things I saw in that video caught my attention:
    1) Assembling the finger joints dry then applying glue on the outside of the assembled joint? Was he using CA glue? How do you know if you have proper penetration into the fingers???
    2) Bondo to mount the drawer faces? I like this idea to line up and hold the drawer faces but I would sure the heck use at a couple of screws to back up the Bondo. He hid one screw behind the drawer pull but I would still want more strength than that.
    3) Cut the Drawer bottoms the size of the inside of the drawer and just glue them in. I guess it would work but uh... just doesn't feel right to me.

As for the CNC precut panels... not what I would want. I would want a cabinet customized to my personal use and needs so precut panels would defeat a major reason for building something myself. It I had my own CNC and could design my own cabinet with the dimensions "I" want I would have no problem using it. Most of what I don't like about the tool boxes I have is that they aren't really a great fit for my tools.

I did see a couple of neat short cuts that I had never thought of before.

I think I like the style of woodworking in the second video from Gillis Björk better. Seems like it is more craftsmanship than production... even though I am pretty far from following the neanderthal way of building.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-22-2022 at 8:40 PM.