Thread: JET Dust Collector Noise Reduction

JET Dust Collector Noise Reduction

I have a Jet Dust Collector that I use for my general woodworking in my external garage. It turns on and off with activation of most of my other woodworking tools. It's loud, but only for brief periods of time, so I've accepted it that way for the past 5 or 6 years.

With the addition of a Onefinity Journeyman CNC machine, I figured the DC will be running for extended periods of time and so decided that I needed to make it a bit quieter, so as not to be annoying while in my garage.

The garage door, that my DC is next to, is one of two and so is unplugged from the opener. I probably could have boxed it in completely, but I need visibility to the first stage drum and chute that feeds it. My J/P had the ability to over power the SuperDust Deputy XL and sometimes clogs, so I monitor the chute while planing.

Hence I figured I'd try some sound proofing with some Foamboard.
    So I came across this suggestion on a Stumpy Nubbs video and decided to give it a try.

The cost of materials and items used was about $70, but I got a 9 decibel noise reduction which is noticeably quieter.

I have way access to the orange bucket, below the filter and access to the first stage drum. I did actually cover the metal drum with a complete Foamboard surround, but found it didn't alter the sound whatsoever, soI junked that idea.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-23-2022 at 7:58 PM.

Nice improvement gain!

I wonder if you used some Green Glue and doubled up on the foam board if you would see another 3dB noise reduction or better...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Are you talking about glueing up all the seams?

The area where the orange bucket is, is open, and the area over the motor is also open top right area next to the ceiling (see picture below).

I thought about making a baffle area, as kind of a rectangular muffler exhaust, with some sound deadening soft foam panels inside, where the air exits over the top of the motor.

Next time to HD, I'll probably pick up another sheet of Foamboard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Are you talking about glueing up all the seams?

The area where the orange bucket is, is open, and the area over the motor is also open top right area next to the ceiling (see picture below).

I thought about making a baffle area, as kind of a rectangular muffler exhaust, with some sound deadening soft foam panels inside, where the air exits over the top of the motor.

Next time to HD, I'll probably pick up another sheet of Foamboard

No, just the Green Glue provides a gap between panels, and provides significant additional sound reduction. Google it, and take a look.

Should help. How much? Well, you have the sound meter so you'll know pretty instantly.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'll look into that, looks like that Green Glue may help my baffle build.