Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to chat with someone who is well versed in rifle reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Others who are still reloading can better answer this but when I was doing it buying powder was kind of an issue. Not so much buying it but shipping it. If you can't guess it has special shipping requirements. I believe there is (or maybe it's changed) a flat Hazmat fee so you want to buy in bulk or buy it local if you have a gun shop that sells it. But there's limitations on how much you can ship in one package.
    There is a max amount for the flat hazmat fee, but you've got to be ordering some serious quantities (as far as individual use for small arms cartridges) to come anywhere maxing that out. I don't recall the exact number, but I seem to recall it was somewhere north of 50 lbs. When I was shooting *seriously* I probably went through 20-30 lbs per year through a .308 Win.

Don't quote me on this (USE A PROPER CHART) but 1 pound of powder can do less than 150 rounds of 30-06.
    One pound of powder (16 ounces) equals 7000 grains. If you figure an average .30-06 powder charge is around 50 grains, the math works out to 140 rounds, not counting any spillage, etc.

If you are just shooting occasionally that's a lot of ammo. But, if you want to go to the range once a week and shoot 100 rounds you're going to want to buy in larger quantities. Also, with COVID and other issues, you are going to want to have plenty on hand so you aren't struggling to find the same powder you were using.

To me once I decide on a powder I like I stick with it. As others have said each type of powder has it's own little quirks when it comes to reloading so once you know how the one you have chosen works with your reloader so changing powders just adds to the learning curve.
    Just to make things more fun / interesting, when you find that special snowflake / unicorn load, using brand X powder Y... and you go back to the store to pick up another one pound bottle, or order an eight pound jug to keep you busy for a while... it's probably not going to be the same lot # as what you had before. How much that matters... kinda depends on what your expectations are

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Just to make things more fun / interesting, when you find that special snowflake / unicorn load, using brand X powder Y... and you go back to the store to pick up another one pound bottle, or order an eight pound jug to keep you busy for a while... it's probably not going to be the same lot # as what you had before. How much that matters... kinda depends on what your expectations are
    Or how close you are to a maximum load. I always thought working up a unicorn load was the fun part of hand loading. Starting groups that sometimes looked more like a shot pattern and ending up with one ragged hole is very satisfying..
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have been reloading everything on my Dillon 650XL for 30+ years (.380, 9mm, .45acp, .44mag, .50ae, .30 carbine, .223, 6.5x55, .308, 30-06, 8x57) and it has always done EVERYTHING I ever needed for a reloading press. The ammo it produces is as accurate as any that I have ever loaded on a single stage press but at a greatly faster rate. It was a big investment initially but quite cheap when amortized over 30+ years. The Dillon 750xl is the replacement for the 650xl, both are pretty equivalent and I would grab a good deal on either if I came across one. If you are buying new the 750xl is the only choice and an excellent choice. The Dillon 550XL is also a very good press to but is only has 4 stations instead of 5 stations and it is not auto indexing. The 550 is still a solid productive progressive press.

In the $500 price range to get started a Single stage or turret press is what you will be looking at. A good progressive press costs many times your budget.

For single stage presses I have a RCBS Rockchucker that barely gets used because of the utility of the Dillon 650. The RCBS Rockchucker is a great single stage press and a great way to start.

I think the best bang for buck in a single stage press in a Lee Classic Cast press. Well designed, incredibly strong, heavy and made out of cast iron. I would have bought a Lee Classic Cast press if I hadn't stumbled upon a great deal on my Rockchucker. There are other single stage presses that are also very good but they really aren't any better than the Lee Classic Cast even though they cost much more money. The Lee breach lock press with quick change die collars sounds really neat but a lot of people have complained about used primers not being handled well by this aluminum cast press (I would not buy one). There are some cool looking Forester, RCBS and Franklin presses that deviate from the classic O ring press design... I don't think they are worth the extra money (just my opinion and I haven't ever used any of them).

A turret press is another option which is supposed to be a little faster than a single stage but quite a bit below a progressive when it come to production volume. I have never used one so I really can't give any meaningful advice about them.

I have not found any noticeable difference between the major brands of dies. Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Redding and Dillon all make very good dies. I have not found an appreciable difference between any of the brands... with two exceptions: The Dillon .223 and .308 carbide resizing dies are worth the extra money for a progressive press (for a single stage press they are not worth the extra money in my opinion). I use Lee collet crimp dies for pretty much every cartridge I reload. (Lee is usually considered the bargain equipment because of their lower price but SOME of their equipment is very good which makes it a great value). I personally would never buy a Lee progressive press.

Reloading kits that bundle the press with all the other equipment to get you started reload pretty much always bundle sub-par presses with sub-parr accessories. A good press will last a life time and the presses mentioned above are good presses but the other equipment in the beginners kits almost always get replaced within 6 months to a year after purchase. When you don't know what equipment you need and where to spend money on good equipment I guess the kits are a good way to get your feet wet but when you gain experience they are pretty much a waste of money.

A basic (single stage) kit to get started:
    A good reloading book - Lyman reloading manual is the defacto standard and will give you everything you need to get started.
    A good press
    A set of reloading dies for each cartridge
    A shell holder for each cartridge family. Most reloading dies do not come with a shell holder. Progressive presses will need a special holder unique to the press. Most single stage shell holders are standardized.
    A lube pad and lube - RCBS is kind of a standard but others work just as well.
    A powder scale (buy a digital scale)
    A powder measure to dispense the powder into the cases
    A decent set of calipers
    Someway to clean the dirty brass: vibratory tumbler, rotary tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner are the usual choices.
    (You can get away with a case go-no gauge for each caliber but they are really nice to have when you are new and don't know if your ammo is in spec).

If you go for a single stage press make yourself a few nice reloading blocks (should not be a problem for even a beginner woodworker).

After you are setup and producing ammo there are some things that will be really nice to add when you can:
    Case trimmer.
    A case prep center.
    Plastic ammo boxes. I use the cheap ones that hold 50 rounds to organize all of my reloaded ammo. Much nicer than carrying it around loose in a bucket or ammo can.
    Some sort of hand primer if you went with a single stage press (most single stage loaders I know find the single stage press built in primers usable but slow and cumbersome)
    ... and the list of possible accessories seems almost endless.

I tried to give you a complete list but I am sure I forgot some things. I will update my posts when I remember something or another poster points out an oversite of mine.

I have never used ANY of this gear but this is another interesting turret press kit that I would research as a possible starting kit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101962221?pid=544156

P.S. I am a big fan of both the 03A3 and Garand! I also have a soft spot for the Swedish Mausers when it come to mil surplus rifles.

Edit: The RCBS Rockchucker starter kit looks like a pretty decent kit. I find the balance scales cumbersome and greatly prefer a digital scale. The powder measure is a quality one but it does not appear to come with the bench mount bracket for the powder measure. I don't know if the Speer reloading manual lists loads for all common bullets or just the ones that Speer manufactures. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023389781?pid=345426

If you add up all the pieces separately it does look like the RCBS Rock Chucker kit is worth the money.

2022-02-27_230041.png

I still like the Lee classic cast but I do not see a Lee starting kit with the classic cast press... only their smaller presses that I would recommend staying away from.

This Lyman Turret press starting kit looks interesting although I have not used any of this equipment so I can't personally recommend it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101962221?pid=544156

I often frequent and post on TheHighRoad.com but would not recommend the site to the un-initiated as there is so much noise from all sorts that it would be VERY hard to filter all the chatter down to just the good advice.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-28-2022 at 2:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Or how close you are to a maximum load. I always thought working up a unicorn load was the fun part of hand loading. Starting groups that sometimes looked more like a shot pattern and ending up with one ragged hole is very satisfying..

I used to shoot 90% bolt action. But with limited range and a good rifle in NJ it was getting boring. My range has 300 yds(closer to 350 if you push target back as far as possible). But got a new shooting buddy who asked why I was doing it and introduced me to nicer pistols. Reloading has become less about precision and more about what runs the best for me.

I would painstakingly make up perfect cases(no mixed headstamps). Followed by hand priming and used and auto trickler to drop each load. Then went to the range and shot half a box of loads. and went back to develop further..
    Now I go and dump 500 rounds at steel and love it.

Thanks for the replies people! Special Thanks to Michael S. for such a detailed and comprehensive response...just what I had hoped to get but didn't expect it. Extremely grateful for all the replies with helpful info. Now to copy it, digest it, get the book and read it until all the questions and not well understood issues are understood. That may take me a few minutes (LOL).

I never expected this much support. I am so impressed with Sawmillcreek.org members

V/r

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I think everyone gave great advice, but will go on record one more time and suggest you look around to see if you can get your hands on primers and powder before buying anything beyond the book. I haven't tried buying any in a year or more but am guessing it may still be difficult to come by. Good luck in the new venture!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Thanks for the replies people! Special Thanks to Michael S. for such a detailed and comprehensive response...just what I had hoped to get but didn't expect it. Extremely grateful for all the replies with helpful info. Now to copy it, digest it, get the book and read it until all the questions and not well understood issues are understood. That may take me a few minutes (LOL).

I never expected this much support. I am so impressed with Sawmillcreek.org members

V/r

Don M

Don,
    Another reloader here, for near 50-years. I load 9mm, 9x23, 38Super, 38Spec, 357M, 44M, 45ACP, 223, 243, 25-06, & your favorite 30-06. I still use the same RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press I started with in 1975. It works perfectly for my needs, mass production isn't. As all have noted primers are the issue now, but for the '06 large rifle primers aren't that difficult to acquire. Start today saving your brass.
    While you are deciding on the mechanical equipment also focus on the ingredients; grab the components (assuming you have a good reloading manual) it will provide several proven loads that you try.
    As all have indicated ask a specific question in the open here on the forum or private message - you'll get plenty of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Don, I have never reloaded for shotgun but have hunted with them a bit.

I shot rifle bench rest competition using a 6mm Ruger bolt action , hunted elk with a Reminton BDL 30-06, a custom built 338-06 and a custom built 7mm-06 (284 Remington IIRC). I hand loaded for all the rifles, but it's been 20 years since I reloaded. I'd recommend you find someone locally who is a skilled reloader to teach you how to reload rifles. Reloading for rifles I suspect is a totally different beast. Excessive pressures become a whole lot more important and dangerous. For example, once while reloading for hunting loads for the 30-06 using a proven, often personally used load in that rifle, I began to experience evidence of excessive pressures in the form of a slightly harder opening bolt on the rifle and measured unusual, fired case expansion. The cause? A new can of powder from the same manufacture was suddenly turning problems up across the country as they had switched types of cellulose used in the powder. Tolerances become much more important IMO in rifles than in shotguns, I suspect.

I have shot pistol silhouette using a Ruger Mark II 22 caliber and hand loaded for 44 mag.

With rifles, a multistage reloading press isn't necessary IMO. With a shotgun or a pistol, a multistage press would be advantageous. I used an RCBS Rock Chucker press and RCBS dies.

I used RCBS reloading equipment exclusively to support the local manufacturing plant. For target shooting I used Speer bullets as they are locally manufactured, and I could buy them in bulk from a local gun shop. For hunting I used Hornady and Nosler bullets.
    RCBS is not manufactured in HorribleVille anymore?

Blog Entries
    I have not been a shooter since BB gun days and I have not hunted for over 40 years. I still have my guns. Our town is home to Midway USA. My brother in law works there. Larry Potterfields' business has really grown. His youTubes are fun because you get to see inside one of his shops. Check out his reloading supplies there are 5945 products.

Whoops there is my BB gun right by the back door. I guess I am still a shooter.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    RCBS is not manufactured in HorribleVille anymore?
    Speer bullets, RCBS primers and some other products were made locally here in Lewiston. Omak was headquartered here, IIRC. It was the 2nd or 3rd largest employer in town at one time. I am not sure about it now as it's been sold and is owned by another outdoor equipment company.

It appears that the reloading presses and dies were made in Oroville at one time. Again, I am not sure about it now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....