Thread: spindle adapter

spindle adapter

I am thinking of upgrading to a Oneway 2436 lathe but all my chucks, etc. are 1 1/4" x 8tpi. I can get spindle adapters from Oneway and I am wondering if anyone has gone that route and had any problems doing so.

I have a lathe with 1-1/4 x 8 spindle and I bought a cheap adapter to 1 x 8. The runout is immeasurable. I use an adapter to allow me to use a bunch of 1 x 8 chucks and faceplate. For me, the 1x8 accessories were less expensive than the 1-1/4 x 8. I leave the adapter in place for most of the time. No problem.

I can't imagine that you would have an issues with a 33mm to 1-1/4 adapter, assuming that the manufacturer didn't screw up. I suggest just buying an adapter and seeing if you have any issues. I doubt that you will have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I am thinking of upgrading to a Oneway 2436 lathe but all my chucks, etc. are 1 1/4" x 8tpi. I can get spindle adapters from Oneway and I am wondering if anyone has gone that route and had any problems doing so.
    I have that lathe (I love it incidentally) When I started out had several other brand chucks. I think I still have an adaptor here somewhere for the 1 1/4. I never did check the runout but don't recall any issues. I have now sold the older chucks and bought 3 Oneway Strongholds. If you want, and if I can find the adaptor I could check the run out of the adaptor but only it, as I no longer have any chucks that fit it. If I can find it and if you like I'm sure we could work out a Sawmill Creek Family price?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I have that lathe (I love it incidentally) When I started out had several other brand chucks. I think I still have an adaptor here somewhere for the 1 1/4. I never did check the runout but don't recall any issues. I have now sold the older chucks and bought 3 Oneway Strongholds. If you want, and if I can find the adaptor I could check the run out of the adaptor but only it, as I no longer have any chucks that fit it. If I can find it and if you like I'm sure we could work out a Sawmill Creek Family price?
    Thanks, but I decided to stick with my present (General 260) lathe for now. A used Oneway with the big outboard attachment came up for sale near here and my eyes were bigger than my shop for a few hours until I thought hard about the extensive reshuffle required to make it fit in with all my other equipment. David Ellsworth got by with a General for some time so I probably have a ways to go before I "need" a bigger and better lathe. Not that I won't have my eye out for something bigger and better that fits in my shop.