Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designing chisel mallets and hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Derek.

This conversation has made me think of some of my attempts at mallet making. One in particular had a curve in the handle and was clearly more comfortable to use one way than the other.

Some of your comments have now made me want to looking through my scrap iron to see if there is a hunk worthy of making a faux gennou just for fun and experimentation.

jtk
    Jim, I always look forward to your assessments. Test out a few configurations, and let us know what you find.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use two sizes of Thor mallets suggested by Paul Sellers. They work well with chisels. Enough force in blow and no damage to chisels. I use these two for a variety of purposes. Both are stock. I like the looks of LV mallet. Will buy that someday (I love hammers & mallets).

This was a good read. I am not at a skill level where I can differentiate between non-large differences in handle types.

I like handles on Thor mallets, Picard crosspeen hammer, blue estwing handles, and DeWalt framing hammer handles. I had a Dalluge hammer and have LV brass mallet, I don't like handles on these.

Hi Anuj

The Thor hammers are good ... one of my favourites ... on the right (on the left is the original Veritas handle - not bad at all just too narrow for my larger hand).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have thought of using these hammers, the larger for chisel work the other for planes. The larger is about 20 oz. The weight I like. Not sure of the weight of the smaller. It seems they have all of the attributes except a wooden handle. It would be no trouble to adapt for wood handles since I make them. I just don’t think I would like the head size for chisel work because I never look at the impact point, I’m always looking at the cutting edge.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have often wondered how the Caulking Mallet came to be so distinctive. I am sure there is an engineering evolution story that goes way back.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.45.58 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-28-2022 at 7:51 AM. Reason: image from the web
    Best Regards, Maurice

My eBay purchased Japanese hammer came with a skinny straight handle, horrible to hold, little control. If you want to hit a Japanese chisel square on your hand has to be ‘out’ more. This is not as comfortable.

I made a much larger curved handle for my large hands. The curve makes a square on hit easy and comfortable. This is now my preferred hammer for the Japanese chisels. The wooden mallet I was given when I was 10 yrs old! That has seen some use and I like it also.

6C2090AD-A0B5-4195-97B5-4A33411042DA.jpg

I would encourage anyone to make a large curved handle, you will be amazed how comfortable and accurate it is.

Notice how the mallet face impact angle is not parallel to the handle also!
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 02-28-2022 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Add mallet comment.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

There is also the matter of how one grips the handle.

I tend to place my index finger out straight, along the "top" edge of the handle.....gives me better control.......much like leaving the same finger out alongside the handle on saws.....And, hand planes.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    I read some about the Caulking Mallet and ended up back at the YouTube boat builder. Amazing skills and an interesting mallet. (15:30 minutes in on episode 69 of Tally Ho)
    Best Regards, Maurice