Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just FINALLY cleaned the Oneida Dust Collector Filter - Oh the Humanity!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Been there, done that.

That’s why I made a bin level sensor��

Regards, Rod
    I have a Banner sensor that I got from Oneida, but it's been so unreliable. I scored a vibrating rod level sensor for ridiculously cheap that I'm going to implement. I just hope I get it done before there's another "event" :P

I actually have Oneida's bin level sensor on my system. Seems pretty reliable, actually. So not really sure why so much really thing, but caked on dust collected on the filter pleats.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I actually have Oneida's bin level sensor on my system. Seems pretty reliable, actually. So not really sure why so much really thing, but caked on dust collected on the filter pleats.
    Having a wide belt in the system with a lot of fine dust blowby is probably a factor. I think with a cartridge you have to accept a certain amount of loss from pleat packing.From a previous thread, " I also think that most stock filters could be at least doubled in square footage to provide better filtration" and" I do industrial dust collection equipment in my day job. When using cartridges, we add 2-3X the filter area of a bag to get them to perform the same as a bag filter". https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ter-conversion

I have had my new to me V-3000 for about 3 years now, and even though I had a few close calls in regards to filling the small 33 gal drum, I thought I never overflowed it. Well this thread got the better of me and I fired up the leaf blower. In the middle of suburbia yesterday, a plume of dust and shavings has blanketed my yard. My snow covered front lawn has a nice yellow / pinkish tinge to it. The volume and lbs of caked dust that spewed from the canister was colossal. Lesson learned and I will now put this on some sort of schedule / cycle for regular cleaning.

It's a good idea to have some kind of pressure gauge to monitor filter blinding. You can buy a magnehelic gauge or make a simple-minded manometer like htis one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9l9e8PwgEs. I plugged mine into the exhaust plenum downstream of my cyclone. Filter clogging creeps up on you like dull planer blades- it helps to keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    For whatever reason the filter was way too caked with fine dust. I initially tried that for virtually no effect . So that really wouldn’t have accomplished much, unfortunately.

I do wish I had remembered the leaf blower technique though.
    I don't have a wide belt sander, but what I do is blow it out as I described on a regular basis. Once every couple months or so is plenty for mine, preventative maintenance I guess. Unless I forget the bin level, then I'm cussing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by brian cammarata View Post
    I have had my new to me V-3000 for about 3 years now, and even though I had a few close calls in regards to filling the small 33 gal drum, I thought I never overflowed it. Well this thread got the better of me and I fired up the leaf blower. In the middle of suburbia yesterday, a plume of dust and shavings has blanketed my yard. My snow covered front lawn has a nice yellow / pinkish tinge to it. The volume and lbs of caked dust that spewed from the canister was colossal. Lesson learned and I will now put this on some sort of schedule / cycle for regular cleaning.
    Is separation any better with the clearvue?

Matt

Hi Alan,
    You didn't mention what size your widebelt is, but on a cyclone, if you don't have enough airflow coming in, the separation can be poor, something about how fast the air is cycloning and centrifugal force, and that sort of engineering stuff. If you are making a bunch of dust, but only running it in through a single 4" port, you may need to open another port to increase the airflow and improve the separation. I know that sounds counter intuitive, more ports open to make it work better, but that is the physics of it I only have a 3HP Oneida, but I suspect that it is even more important on a larger 5 hp.

And I definitely recommend installing the gauge. Mine is telling me it is way past time to replace my 15 year old filter. It clogs up in no time.

I have had a V-3000 for about 10 years. It's used in a production situation on a single machine cutting prefinished moldings which produces very fine dust. Runs about 4 hours each day, 5 days per week. After the first 3 months the suction dropped to almost nothing. I determined the hepa filter was plugged. I followed the instructions to clean it by blowing from outside - no good. I tried many ways from garden blower to pressure washer and never did get the filter to clear. Wasn't going to buy another filter if it only lasts 3 months. I needed this collector so I opened door and with 3 feet of straight pipe on the outlet of the cyclone aimed at the door I went back to work. It's been like this for 10 years. The air flow is great, the cyclone separation is exceptional, and I've never seen any sign of dust outside the door. The door has a screen door in the summer and blowing thru it shows no dust.

Really no way to duct it outside, unfortunately here.

I looked through my cabinets and found the meter I had bought years ago. It actually wasn't a Magnahelic, it was a UEi EM201 Digital Manometer.
    EMi EM201 Digital Manometer for Oneida Dust Cyclone.jpg

So I drilled a hole in my Oneida where they suggested for their kit, and inserted the threaded conector. I didn't use a pitot tube, as I really am only interested, I think, in the static readings.

Caulk is drying on it tonight, so I'll test it tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I don't have a baseline with a new filter, but at least I'll have a baseline with my newly "cleaned" filter.

I'll make all the readings from now on with the same combination of blast gates open, so at least I can compare apples to apples.

Tomorrow I'll post some results for comment.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-03-2022 at 8:23 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

OK. The gauge reads between 1.07" and 1.25" when running with my wide belt and table saw blast gates open. For ease of use with opening gates, that will be my reference with this filter.

With all of the blast gates open, the gauge reads 1.75" - 2.02".

Are these readings high (as in is my filter still caked with dust that I didn't remove?) I'd say I got off 80-90% of it, but eventually gave up shooting compressed air at it, as it's a seemingly endless task.

Assuming the 1.2" average for the "clean" filter, at what number should I be using as a "Clean Me!!!! signal?
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-04-2022 at 8:37 AM.

Oneida says to clean at 3 and don't use past 5 I believe. Mine is in the range of yours when clean.