Thread: Brief Review: Double Time Flattening Stone

Brief Review: Double Time Flattening Stone

Hi folks.
    About a week ago I posted a thread asking about flattening stones for my Shapton Glass sharpening stones. LINK As always, there was a lot of great input. Thanks again!

I ended up deciding to buy the Double Time Flattening Stone from Sharpening Supplies.com. I caught it on sale for $50. LINK This is a 2 sided stone: 120 grit and 320 grit. The stone measures 4" x 10", which proved to work just fine. (I debated buying a larger stone.)

Before I ordered it, I called them and confirmed it was safe for my Shapton 6000 and lower grit Shaptons. Their Tech assured me it was. He also made sure I knew that flattening stones can themselves get out of flat. (That's a big advantage of diamond or CBN plates - they stay flat.) Then he described to me how to use the entire surface of flattening stone in a way that helps keep it flat.

So today I opened the box and tried it out. It was packaged well and securely. The stone was in perfect condition.

Here's the 320 grit side after its first soak.
    20220226_171312.jpg
    And there's the 120 grit side.
    20220226_171338.jpg

As you can see, my Shapton 6000 was in desperate need of some cleaning. I got lazy and didnt scrub my it or 500 grit stone after the last use and it really shows. (Yes, this is embarassing. ) 20220226_171445.jpg

But I went to work using the 320 side and after about 10 strokes only the dished area still needs work.
    20220226_171545.jpg

About another 20 strokes and she was clean and flat again.
    20220226_171912.jpg

As you'd expect, the flattening stone worked best when I wiped off excess swarf in between passes. But the the Double Time cut just fine on that 6000 grit stone. I didnt start to get stiction until it was nearly flat (as you'd expect), and the stiction was greatly reduced by the grooved surface of the flattening stone. I was pleased, because reduced stiction was a big reason for buying the grooved stone, rather than a diamond (or CBN) plate.

Next I went to work on my Shapton 500, using the 120 grit side. That took noticeably more time and effort. That stone was dished out more than I realized. And the Double Time needed a good rinsing in the middle of flattening to clear excess swarf before I could finish the job. I think this was my fault though - I'd let the stones get way out of shape. (Long story about why. I'll spare you.)

Last, I did my Shapton 1000 using the 120 grit side. It was easier than the 500 grit stone because it wasn`t dished out.

So after flattening 3 stones, I'd say the Double Time was a good buy for me. We'll see how well the flattening stone itself stays flat, and I'll make a point of cleaning/flattening my Shaptons regularly now that I have it

Anyway, that's all for now.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-26-2022 at 7:53 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good review Fred, thank you!

That looks like a very good deal, and a good size.

I've had one for a couple years, and I'm always pleased with the result.