Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough/pulsing cut on bandsaw

Rough/pulsing cut on bandsaw

Hello all,

Picked up a new (to me) bandsaw today. Drove ~3 hrs there, loaded it up on a trailer and strapped it down and wrapped it in a tarp (also strapped down with ratchet straps, drove home and unloaded it into my shop.

Saw seemed to work fine when I picked it up (asked to see it run), and the cut looked nice and smooth. When I got it in my shop, I cleaned it up, checked the guides (and tweaked their set up a little) and powered it up. Ran nice and smooth... until I put some wood to it.

There was a definite audible pulsing, though I'd hesitate to call it a 'ticking' noise. The cut surface is anything but smooth - very visible lines, and the spacing varies with how fast the wood is fed through the blade.

With the power off, and turning the wheels by hand I can't see anything (visibly) jumping out at me as far as the teeth.

Is there anything else I should be checking, or should I just assume the blade got damaged somehow during transit and order a new one?

Thanks!

Possibly the weld joint on the blade?
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Yes. Never seen any other cause .

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    So why would it have given a clean cut at the seller's?

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Maybe he had the guides adjusted differently. Just in case you didn’t notice the teeth shouldn’t be contacting the guides on the sides during the cut. The gullet is usually the stopping point.
    Only the rear bearing. You probably already know this just reminding in case you forgot.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Maybe try a different blade, just to see if it makes a difference.
    David

Unfortunately I don't have an extra just yet.

Got some pics from the seller of the piece he cut at the shop. The lines aren't as noticeable, but the cut wasn't quite as smooth as I remembered (go figure ).

To be fair, I'm pretty sure it's the OEM blade.

If the side guides are too tight they can make the blade pulse like it is cracked. I've done it myself, changed the blade with no improvement and then backed the guides off a bit and the problem went away again. It's a very small difference between close and too close.

You said you tweaked the guides maybe that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    I had a 1/2" blade do this to me yesterday. I was resawing 6" of cherry when I started getting a ticking noise. Seemed to be one single spot on the blade based on the timing. Finished the board then took a look at the blade - the weld had cracked about 60% of the way through the blade. The only thing I could think I did to cause that was potentially overtightening the blade.

Blog Entries
    It is pretty easy to kink a blade. Take the blade off and place it with the teeth up on a flat surface. The blade should lay flat all the way around. If it does not lay flat it has been kinked.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Also keep in mind that even cast iron flexes, so insuring the machine is leveled and secure is also important. Really paying attention to little things when a machine is relocated is important and yea, go over alignment of everything carefully, given the machine was moved between shops.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just an update, for anyone who cares: it was definitely the blade.

I kind of went on a hand-tool bender for a few months, then recently I needed to resaw some stock for a box-joint project. Decided I didn't want to do that by hand, so I gave it a go on the band saw. 6" red oak, stock 3/8" blade. Nope. Tried the stock 5/8" blade, that I hadn't touched yet. Holy crap, I didn't know it was *possible* to burn a board on a bandsaw. That's how dull that thing was. So... project got put on hold while I ordered a couple new bands (should have done that back when I got the saw, but it is what it is). A 1/2" Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking for resawing, and a 1/4" 6 tpi Timberwolf for general purpose.

I'm happy to report that the Woodslicer cut excellently - still needs a little smoothing, but nothing a couple trips through the planer on a sled wouldn't fix. The Timberwolf made quick work out of some odds-n-ends shop projects including fitted holders for my panel and hand saws. Again, the cut were much, much smoother and the saw generally ran quieter with less vibration - and no ticking noise!

Blades make a world of difference!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!