Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baltic Birch Availability?

Insane pricing - LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, MI - natural birch 3/4" plywood Rot.WP B-2 - $85.09 for 10 or more sheets. Other 3/4" hardwood plywood there at far better prices than above. Drayton Plywood in Waterford, MI is excellent source of cabinet grade hardwood plywood, excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Insane pricing - LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, MI - natural birch 3/4" plywood Rot.WP B-2 - $85.09 for 10 or more sheets. Other 3/4" hardwood plywood there at far better prices than above. Drayton Plywood in Waterford, MI is excellent source of cabinet grade hardwood plywood, excellent customer service.
    I just paid $150 for a 4x8 shseet of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. If you got to have it......
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I just paid $150 for a 4x8 shseet of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. If you got to have it......
    Now I'm not feeling so bad for paying $150/sheet (Canadian money) for 18mm A1 white oak plywood, rift sawn on one side & quarter on the other. Gosh it's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    OMG. Serious question, at what point does it stop making sense to buy plywood and just go to solid lumber?! Yes, I know ply has advantages, but, man, at 150/sheet; just seems we're approaching the point where it might make sense to bandsaw and joint some wood. Or go really crazy and make your own "plywood" out of 1/4in strips cut out of a nice chunk of solid hardwood from a mill on the bandsaw. Got ol' "3 ply".

Well I've made plywood a few times, usually all-cherry or all-walnut, (even some small all-ebony!), for special applications, generally about 1/8" -3/16" thick 3 ply, pieces around 8" wide x several times that long, and it's a helluva lot of work for a typical well-equipped small shop. Even laminating 3 sheets of typical commercial veneer into a thin plywood for specialty use is a drag of a job.

Appleply fits the bill for many purposes, but it's both higher quality than most BB uses needs, and at over $200/sheet pretty expensive. It also seems to be of unreliable availability, but I've only checked a couple times from east coast supplier. They do have a web-site selling it at $140 or so a half sheet, plus shipping.

But I think if you try to make a couple square feet of your own plywood you'll quickly see it as a bargain! I was just quoted almost $4 a square foot for 5/8" BB from Atlantic Plywood, New England's major wholesaler. At that price it's still a viable and the best option for my use, but I'm lucky material cost is a small % of total cost of product.

It also seems like the hardwood wholesalers are stressed for their supplies and so less interested in selling small (to them) quantities, so at about $4 sq ft the BB plywood isn't rivalled by much of anything in the hardwood world for parts that could be made from solid stock.

I work in a home center/building supply center, and our buyer sent this out yesterday.

I just wanted to give you all a brief heads-up about the 5x5 Baltic Birch sheet goods we've stocked for many years now...
    We have quite a bit of inventory landing here soon (most of which will be this week). However, once we've sold out of it (which will likely not be right away) chances of getting replacement stock for it are slim to none.

Many countries are refusing to do business with Russia and/or pick up at their ports now. Because the Baltic Birch is an import product from Russia, the material that currently exists in the distribution chain will be the last of its kind indefinitely.

We are currently selling 5 x 5 sheets: 3/4" is $149, 1/2" is $99, and 1/4" is $62. This is in Pullman, WA. Eastern side of the state.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Anyone think we are going to see baltic birch disappear from the shelves with the current Ukraine/Russia war in progress?
    My supplier in Central Oregon has inventory...no shortages yet.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

This might be a controversial question and I’m not intending to initiate a moral or political discussion…. I ask only out of practical curiosity about woodworking, which could affect pros and us hobby people. Is there any talk or discussion in professional woodworking circles and/or lumber suppliers about universally avoiding or boycotting import of certain materials that may have originated in certain countries who’s geopolitical aspirations may not be desirable? I presume some individuals or companies may have already done this on their own, but I’m wondering if any of the National organizations or really big companies have been commenting or making plans about this. What about the actual manufacturers? This is also assuming our own government has not or will not enforce limitations on such imports, and I may indeed be ignorant of any rules that have already been put in place in response to…negative market externalities.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    ... I’m wondering if any of the National organizations or really big companies have been commenting or making plans about this. ...
    My company has (non-woodworking) assets in Russia, with partners from several other countries, of course one of these is the Russian government. We are the 'operator' (our fingers on the switch), so there are environmental and safety issues if we simply walk away. However, we have publicly announced intent to walk as soon as the operations role can be transferred to others. This will cost us $$$ millions. At this point, I'm just speculating that the Russians will have to assume this operator role, as I doubt the non-Russian partners will have attitudes any different than ours.

Saw this AM that Russia has threatened to nationalize assets of any company that imposes any restrictions on in-country business activity. Certainly this may impact plywood manufacturers, importers, and supplies.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-10-2022 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Tried to answer a question / Is that any better?

No worries - other hardwood plywood is readily available. "Baltic birch" production will increase in other countries, Russians mobster "president", Russia & all supporters should be shunned at all points.

Let's not go there, folks... Please.

Jim
    Forum Moderator.

Now that the price is more attractive , how many of you are going to give the alternative panels like wheatboard or strawboard (rice) a try ?

https://chesapeakeplywood.com/wheatboard-ecoboard/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Let's not go there, folks... Please.

Jim
    Forum Moderator.
    Thanks, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Now that the price is more attractive , how many of you are going to give the alternative panels like wheatboard or strawboard (rice) a try ?

https://chesapeakeplywood.com/wheatboard-ecoboard/
    I have a hard time imagining myself trying something like this at my clients expense. Worst thing I can imagine is starting to get calls a year after the fact finding out that everything I built with an unproven material is starting to have issues. Not against it personally, but professionally I can't justify it.

One alternative to Baltic birch and Appleply is this Columbia product https://www.columbiaforestproducts.c.../europly-plus/. Thin, void-free birch inner plies and a decorative face veneer in various species.

Another is Garnica Plumaply, a poplar veneer core product available in several different versions. The core layers are a bit thicker and not entirely free of voids but may be acceptable for exposed edge applications. https://www.atlanticplywood.com/brand/garnica/