Thread: source for low grade hard maple in New England?

source for low grade hard maple in New England?

I'm looking for a 200-500 bf of dry hard maple #1 or #2 common or shorts for projects requiring only small cuttings. Can use any thickness, or mixed thicknesses, but prefer 6/4 and 8/4. Anyone know any likely sources ? The usual wholesalers I've asked have only FAS at $5-6/bf. Might be worth a drive or shipping cost for the right material at the right price....

If you are going to paint it ,try getting a deal by accepting “blue stained” stuff.

You might call the A.Johnson mill in Bristol, VT at 802 453 4884. They show only select lumber on their retail list but they certainly saw lower grades and may deal with you on a wholesale basis for large enough orders. https://vermontlumber.com/

If your application doesn't absolutely require "hard maple", also price out "soft maple" which isn't "soft" at all...it's just less hard than the other variety. (multiple species in each category) You'll find that soft maple has more color variation because both sap and heart are acceptable, while a lot of hard maple is all sap, if I'm remembering things clearly. (I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong) Hard maple is selected for color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ask for log run? you will get good and lesser. you can pick out for your projects
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I would look for a cabinet shop or millwork shop and see if they have scrap you can buy. This may not fit your 6/4 or 8/4 requirement.

Blog Entries
    It is quite far from Colrain, Goosebay Sawmill and Lumber in Chichester NH.

http://www.goosebaylumber.net/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-02-2022 at 12:39 PM. Reason: web adress
    Best Regards, Maurice

Try Kerber Farms in Guilford, VT.

https://kerberlumber.com/hardwood_lumber

Why is $6./bf too much? The amount of wood used and the value added to small products would seem to make the price per board foot less important.

I'm sure the guy I buy from has it but it would be a 6 hour round trip. Not sure if it would be worth it though. He logs, cuts, and dries all his wood himself and sells it out of a large garage next to his house. So his prices tend to be cheaper than retail stores.

The Woodery Lumber company in Lunenburg MA has a pretty broad selection.

Sharps Lumber in Ashland, NH is worth a call.
    https://sharpslumber.com/

I like these guys.

PCG

Abenaki's Epping, NH location currently has 5 M 4/4 2C HARD MAPLE, BRN/STN.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    The Woodery Lumber company in Lunenburg MA has a pretty broad selection.
    The Woodery is gone. Try Northland Forest Products in Kingston NH.

Also, Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH is currently listing soft maple as low as $3.05 b/f and hard maple starting at $3.80 b/f.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 03-03-2022 at 2:22 PM.