Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061 LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Too cool, looks good Jim! Where are the geese!

Blog Entries
    That's gotta feel good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    It sure will help when rolling stuff out to your shop!
    That will primarily be "me" being rolled out there. LOL Probably by the new dog, Oliver.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Too cool, looks good Jim! Where are the geese!
    Sitting on eggs at the moment I suspect...they seem to be sticking very close to the pond at the present time. I'm sure seeing our new dog Oliver may also be a factor. Unfortunately for the big birds, we'll be getting a fence back up on the property in the near future and that will limit their access on the ground.
    --

Where is your snow? We just got a freshen up this morning. Nice shop, Jim. Very well planned and executed. Definitely will be taking some of the ideas and applying to my shop where possible.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Where is your snow? We just got a freshen up this morning. Nice shop, Jim. Very well planned and executed. Definitely will be taking some of the ideas and applying to my shop where possible.
    We got less than a half inch of snow for the entire 2022/2023 "winter" season. I'm good with that, too. Thanks for your kind comments!
    --

Great job on the shop Jim, thanks for taking the time to document and share the journey!

VERY NICE!!!!!!!

My wife and I will be moving south next spring. I have two acres and will be building new with a 30'x40' shop. Definitely keeping yours in mind!
    Liked your reference to your tractor...Big Orange Power Tool. LOL
    Mine is the "Orange Big Boy Toy"! I have a Kubota B3030...best "tool" I've ever bought!!!

Try to get my wife to use it once in a while...Doesn't happen too often!!! Mostly for a picture to send to the kids!!! LOL

2015-12-06 10.25.16.jpg

Ann on Tractor.jpg

Jim, you have made a dream shop. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Leite View Post
    VERY NICE!!!!!!!

My wife and I will be moving south next spring. I have two acres and will be building new with a 30'x40' shop. Definitely keeping yours in mind!
    Liked your reference to your tractor...Big Orange Power Tool. LOL
    Mine is the "Orange Big Boy Toy"! I have a Kubota B3030...best "tool" I've ever bought!!!
    My BX-22 is over twenty years old now and for the most part, the only maintenance costs besides fuel and a few fluid changes at 300 hour intervals over the 1000 hours on it has been hydraulic hoses, replacement of the hydraulic steering wheel valve and one hydraulic cylinder on the backhoe. I did all the work myself except the fluid changes because I didn't want to get involved with disposal of the old fluids and it's good to have a tech check things out at the same time...my dealer sends mobile techs for this work. I have another cylinder I plan on changing out (bucket curl) as the seals are shot and the cost for the seal kit from Kubota is as much as a whole new cylinder from Tractor Supply. I probably should also swap out the front steering ball joints, too...they are shot from moving nearly 100 tons of material for the shop build as well as all those years of digging and moving stuff at the old property. I don't really "need it" anymore at this small property, but it's long paid for, works well and provides extra help with carrying things and now moving my utility trailer around on the property so I don't have to drive my Ascent in the backyard.

I hope this thread remains very helpful to you when you get to your next property and get to build your own building.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-20-2023 at 7:47 PM.
    --

Jim,

You’ve done an excellent job, the shop looks great. Your walkway has inspired me to do the same this summer. The big orange power tool has saved my back numerous times already.

So...I finally, finally, finally got to getting the big door on the shop painted today. This week's weather was very conducive to the deed and SW has a 40% off sale as I needed more paint. While I do still own an airless sprayer, this job (plus the house garage door) was too small to be practical using that and I also have a buyer for it. So I used my regular HPLV gun with the PPS system and it worked "stellar" once I got things dialed in for the thicker, SW Duration exterior trim paint. It looks so much better now that it's not stark white!!

IMG_5769.jpg IMG_5770.jpg IMG_5771.jpg

As noted, I also painted the big door on the house, too, as well as all the trim around the front door and the front porch columns. The previous owner did paint them, but definitely was not careful with the shade which was "way off" from matching the aluminum house trim. That's all fixed now.

IMG_E5761.jpg

Spraying these big doors was a no-brainer. They are a pain to brush because of the embossed panels. Two sprayed coats and the job was done. (I do need to apply another coat around the house's front door, but that's brush work)
    --

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That looks much better than the blazing white. I do like the white window trim. Are you going to paint that also?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That looks much better than the blazing white. I do like the white window trim. Are you going to paint that also?
    I'm actually debating that and think I likely will paint that front window frame to cut back on the white so it's more like the person door. Where the big door was the "stand-out", now that window is the first thing one sees. I have to brush on a second coat on our house front door trim, so while I have said brush in hand, I'll take care of the window. I'm not going to bother with the two side windows, however, unless I get bored or something in the future. LOL
    --

Looks great Jim! That white was blindingly bright LOL.