Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

It is apparent you think through your details, but did you leave room to get access to the compressor belt if/when it fails? From the photos it looks rather tight in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    It is apparent you think through your details, but did you leave room to get access to the compressor belt if/when it fails? From the photos it looks rather tight in that area.
    No matter where it would be installed, it would need to be physically moved to do a belt adjustment. I've only had to do that once in over 15 years, however. But to your point...four screws and I can slide it laterally to do that kind of maintenance. It's good you bring this up because it's something that should always be planned for in some way. The fact that the platform is the width is is helps with this and that width was predicated by the intention of the G700 DC "living" under it.

----
    One of the things I'm going to do today before I move even one more thing into the space is to vacuum and mop the floor to get rid of any remaining construction/painting dust and dirt. It's far easier to do that before the machine shuffle starts!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not a real exciting day today but some things got done that needed to get done after I did some necessary errands mid-day. All the installed receptacles were labeled for circuit designation and the floor was completely swept and mopped to remove any remaining construction dust, etc., as well as some mud from the Big Orange Power Tool that was used to get the compressor in place. I will not represent that one could "eat off the floor", but it's about as good as it's going to get overall. The area where I was cutting drywall isn't as good as I'd prefer, but I'm not mopping it a third time! It's time to start moving stuff in, frankly....I need the tools in there to determine the so-called final positions in order to compete some electrical things that were held up for that as well as work out the air system, what cabinets I need to build, construct the material storage, etc.

Exciting photos of a damp floor.

IMG_3319.jpg IMG_3320.jpg
    --

You're much more deliberate than I, Jim. I'd have the stuff all moved in and constantly in the way while I was trying to finish up the details. (my shop is still awaiting the baseboards) You've done a great job every inch of the way and you'll soon be using your wonderful new space.

I hear you Lisa. I'm anxious, but this is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to really make things the way I want, so taking a few extra weeks or a month or so to get there is just fine. But even if I load all the tools and benches in, there's actually enough space to just keep moving things around as I deal with details. I will at least move the G700 down, likely today, so I can use it with the slider for the window/door boxing/trim work. I'm going to try and pick up material for that today after I fix the licence plate holder on my trailer that I broke completely off when tilting the bed the other day getting the slider/pallet winched onto the trailer. The Orange store has radiata pine plywood for the same price as MDF and I think I'm going to use that for much of the task for cost reasons and may also use it for other storage projects.
    --

Jim,

Have you considered having your floors expoxied? I had mine done and was a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Jim,

Have you considered having your floors expoxied? I had mine done and was a great investment.
    Considered it awhile ago, but I have zero budget for it, given the higher cost for the electrical service due to materials price increases and opting for the spray foam. I'm fine with the floor. It's smooth and easy to clean.

-----

So after moving the G700 down from the temporary gara-shop this afternoon, I set up a little cutting center to work on the window and door boxing/trimming out. So I guess you can say that the new shop is "officially up and running", although there's a lot of floor showing and only one major tool plus the DC and compressor in there so far.

One again, the Big Orange Power Tool did all the heavy lifting...

IMG_3334.jpg IMG_3335.jpg

I picked a location to set things up and...set things up...including installing some nice shoes on the saw.

IMG_3337.jpg IMG_3336.jpg IMG_3338.jpg

Time to fire up the saw and actually cut something...so I started working on the window boxes. I'm fortunate, that this whole thing for the windows is totally a crosscutting operation, too.

IMG_3339.jpg

I guess I can call this slider a "multifunction" machine, 'cause it's also an assembly table today.

IMG_3341.jpg
    --

At the end of the session, all three windows boxes were built, test fitted and then the material for the trim was ripped (which was a crosscutting operation, too. LOL) I'll finish up the trim tomorrow and then the assemblies will be ready for paint. These will be going in fully built.

IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3344.jpg

The boxing for the door will have to be made from .5" material due to the way the door was installed. I have a scrap piece in the shed that's big enough to do the deed and will dig that out tomorrow.
    --

That's quite a saw Jim.
    Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 12-14-2022 at 9:45 PM.

Lawrence, there have been a number of nice discussions about sliding table saws right here on SMC over the years including recently. Not inexpensive, but truly a pleasure to use. Of course, that's subjective... LOL

-----

As an aside to my previous posts, I'm sorta kicking myself for not moving my benches today, too...and the weather tomorrow is going to be really crappy. Oh, well...
    --

Blog Entries
    Looks like you will soon have "Your Dream Shop". Congratulations...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It was a nice "freezing rainy day" to be in the shop working on the window boxing and trim...so I did.

Since I failed to move any of my actual benches, I'll introduce you to my special "Baker-style bench".

IMG_3352.jpg

It wasn't the best surface to assemble the trim-frames because of various fasteners that stick up from the platform, so a 2/3 sheet of the plywood on a Centipede took over for the assembly work.

IMG_3353.jpg IMG_3354.jpg

And before I knew it, I had three frames to match three window boxes. Ok, match wasn't exactly the truth because I quickly discovered I made a mental mistake and cut the rails too long. Took them apart (the glue wasn't fully set yet), trimmed them, and reassembled. I hate when that happens...

IMG_3355.jpg

One done...

IMG_3356.jpg

Three done...

IMG_3357.jpg

And...they actually fit.

IMG_3358.jpg
    --

"Meanwhile"...(Colbert reference)...while the glue was drying, I grabbed a scrap of 1/2" plywood out of the shed in between icy downpours to cut the pieces I needed for the person door. Because of how the door was installed, 1/2" was the limit to clear the hinges and the swinging edge of the door. The fence on the outrigger easily comes off (and instantly re-registers when re-installed) so since the new slider is a short stroke, I just did a conventional rip using the fence for the three pieces I needed to cut to 4.25" wide.

IMG_3359.jpg

After tweaking and installing those, I put the window boxes/trim into their respective windows. I originally was going to paint them separately and then install, but I felt like shooting a few nails for some reason. So I did.

IMG_3361.jpg

The last step of the day was to paint the window boxes/trim. Yea, it's a bit monochromatic, but I have plenty of the grey paint and that's what got used. It actually looks pretty nice. They will get a second coat tomorrow or Saturday, depending on time availability.

IMG_3363.jpg

I want to use 5/4 trim for the door so it's slightly proud of the baseboard, so once I pick that up, install and paint, all the "building construction" for this new shop building will be officially complete. There is still stuff to build for storage, etc., but that's more "shop" than "building".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-15-2022 at 8:27 PM.
    --

It's hard to believe that its only been 3 months since the walls went up!
    You'll have plenty of color in there once you bring the Stinger in.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    This has been a great journal. I enjoy watching your progress. That is going to be a great space.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler