Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Looks like they've built one before!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Nice generator, Jim. Glad it and the propane tanks are still there after the truck passed through.

That post hole digger is awesome!!!

You must be thrilled at the progress. Never thought to video my shop, but not freestanding, so would not have been as enjoyable as watching your video.
    Yes, the drivers were good at what they do and the "drilling folks" did a mighty fine job. They were overjoyed with the holes, themselves...my stone was well compacted (good 'cause it was deep) and the clay soil under it cut so clean. Zero rocks. Of course, the rain we had yesterday made for some comedy when the build crew today was dropping those 16" diameter concrete "feet" into said holes...it was "drop and run" to avoid a muddy water bath.

-------

Speaking of that. The crew was here and ready to work at 07:15 this morning. Crew of five; four young (and incredibly strong) Amish guys and a hispanic gentleman who was both the driver and the fifth worker. Great team; good camaraderie and they really knew what they were doing. Three of the Amish men were related; two brothers and a cousin. This team was out of Lancaster PA and are apparently a contract building crew. At any rate...they were done at 15:00 on the dot.

IMG_2300.jpg

There will be more video coming including a time lapse of the entire "build". Dang that was fast!

Concrete guy coming in the morning for his site visit and the insulation guy is coming in the afternoon for his own site visit. Waiting on the electrician to tell me when he's coming, but I know he's still trying to source a 320 amp meter pan which seem to be hard to come by.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Holy crap, that was fast! I figured you had weeks to go until this was done (like building a house!)

It looks great. It must be a very exciting moment to have the idea suddenly realized like that.

Looks like a shop!

Yeah, they've built one before.

Blog Entries
    Fine looking building Jim! Congrats! Soon enough you'll be outfitting the space with all the fun stuff!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Holy crap, that was fast! I figured you had weeks to go until this was done (like building a house!)
    Really unbelievable. I figured a day and a half at least, but not eightish-hours. The "project" has a "yuge" amount of work to be done still, of course, but this is a great milestone to have passed after many months of "hurry up and wait".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, they've built one before.
    Oh, yea. The four Amish men are quite young...Daniel, the foreman, said he's been doing this for two years, but rarely consulted the cut lists as he broke down material. The hispanic man was a little older, but definitely was also "Mr Hussle"...he had to do the driving for the three hour round trip for the crew, too. This thing is "stronger than a brick outhouse" already, even before additional material gets fastened inside. They do several buildings a week so lots of experience, even at a young age.

-----
    I just met with the concrete guy and we have our plan...prep on the 22nd; I get the foam down on the weekend; pour is pre-scheduled for the 26th. (concrete has to be ordered way in advance at this point) We added a short apron in front of the roll-up door for a couple hundred bucks so it can be done in one pour.

Overhead door gets installed tomorrow. Still waiting on a day/time for the gutters.

Today, I'm going to get temporary electric and lighting strung up so that doing anything inside is easier and safer and will be meeting with the insulation contractor this afternoon. I'll also pick up some 2x6 so I can do window and man-door frame outs as well as a mounting point for the electrical panel. Gives me something to do to move things forward. They will all be ready for interior girts that way.
    --

Looking good Jim. If you haven’t doe it consider sloping the apron a bit for runoff.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Do you have electrical floor boxes and conduit to put in the concrete? I like having them.

Great progress for you. Congratulations. But, as my builder told me after the roof was on, “Things will slow down now.” I hope your progress is faster than mine has been.

My status: I have bought the last can of paint, a date for paving the driveway has been set, the garage door has a scheduled delivery date, … and I have been churning through sketches for the handrail. There is a list of small items too. I can imagine a day for final inspection soon. It has been three and a half years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Looking good Jim. If you haven’t doe it consider sloping the apron a bit for runoff.
    Standard practice. It will also be a lipped opening so that the bottom of the door is about an inch lower than the main floor elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Do you have electrical floor boxes and conduit to put in the concrete? I like having them.
    I've chosen to use overhead for machine supply because it's more flexible over time. No matter how good I can model things in SketchUp, it will not be until the machines are physically placed in the space and shuffled about that I can determine where they will live. But I really did consider it at one point.

Schedule currently:

Overhead door tomorrow
    Floor prep 22 September
    Foam insulation in floor (by me) sometime on the weekend of 23-25 September
    Floor Pour 26 September (hard date)
    Insulation 6 October

Still wrangling with the electrician
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-13-2022 at 2:07 PM.
    --

Blog Entries
    Things are really looking good. I know you will enjoy this trip.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Rough framing passed today...inspector really enjoyed his visit, actually.

I finished up boxing out the windows after picking up some 2x6s since I ran out of scrap from the building build. While yesterday I ripped the quarter inch off the stock for the first window with my battery operated circ saw (a thankless task), I realised last night that I own a flippin' band saw. So that got the nod today to get them to 5.25" to match the projection of the posts. I then moved on to getting support in for the electrical panel using scrap 2z4 material also left behind from the building build. Other than one piece of material I need to put above the man-door, that will be the extent of any interior work I plan on doing prior to the spray foam insulation on 6 October to keep everything wide open for the insulation technician(s). My electrician will be out in the next couple of days to review and finalize the materials list and we will work together to insure that the conduit is in the ground, at least at the building end, prior to concrete prep on the 22nd.

About that overhead door that was supposed to be installed today. Nope. It's not actually being manufactured until the 29th, but the installer is pushing hard to get that moved up. It's only been on order since like forever. LOL I'm disappointed since I have to drag valuable stuff back to the temporary gara-shop at the end of the day, but it is what it is.

Spending "quality time" inside the space today was helpful to understand a few small things around making things work in the corners of the short walls because the posts are turned. "Order of operations" will be important when installing the girts as well as providing some blocking to support the ends of the girts on the short walls in those corners.

IMG_2314.jpg IMG_2315.jpg IMG_2318.jpg
    --

It sure is looking good Jim! Can’t wait for the finished product.

One small lesson learned...watch fastener length when sticking stuff up on the interior to the exterior girts. "D'oh!" I put a screw through the outside. LOL Stuff happens...

Today I plan on getting that last board above the door which kinda is where I stop on anything on the interior other than planning until the floor and electric service is in. This will make it easier and faster for the spray foam folks. I have a few things to do on the outside and then I wait. But it also allows me to do a little more exact shopping my materials list.

Oh, I gotta order 10 ton of some specific stone that the concrete folks want for their prep work.
    --